Trimming Spurs???

The Wolf Queen

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Im not sure if this post is in the right section but how do I trim my roo's spurs? I dont need to yet but definetly soon. So can some one please explain to me how to do it?

I posted last night that I finally did mine. There is a YouTube video that shows you how to take the covers off humanely and doesn't hurt the rooster.

It took a lot of guts for me, but I did it and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. You can probably trim the very ends too with like dog clippers or something for in between times, but our roo had never been done at all. It keeps them shorter, and believe me, when you take the old spurs off and feel how sharp they are, you'll do it again!!!

Here is the link:

Good luck-and it really is just about as easy as it looks. Our roo today is doing fine. His spurs look a little nasty, but they will heal-we sprayed him with Blue-Kote and they will be better in a jiff!

Last edited:
Ok, thanks, Ill try that when I work up my courage
thumbsup.gif

Yeah-the courage factor was what kept me from doing it. Last night I was suggesting that my partner do it and she tried doing it by herself and couldn't really get a good grip. So I mustered up the courage and went in there with the pliers. It was so much easier than I thought. The only time the rooster reacted was when I squeezed down on the pliers (maybe I squeezed a little to hard but I will know next time). The slightest turn of the wrist and they popped right off. Can you tell I'm proud of myself...hahaha!
big_smile.png

Yeah, I would think cutting them off would cause much pain for the poor guy...but taking them off this way is much easier and doesn't seem to bother them. My roo is looking a little sore today but we just sprayed Blue-Kote on his to keep them protected a bit...so you actually did your roo??

Quote:
after I saw this I went and did it right away and it works, he only made a sound when I squeezed the pliars. Next time I know that I can do a little softer.

I'm happy. I finally did it this morning. Like everyone has said, both roos fussed when I got a grip on their spurs but other than that, I just twisted to cap and they came right off. A little more blood than expected, but they didn't seem to notice. YAY
woot.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom