Trimming toenails and bare back

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Netherfieldmom, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Netherfieldmom

Netherfieldmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2007
    Does anyone trim toenails? How long should I leave them? Some are starting to curl around to the side!!

Also we have one RIR whose back is still bare. There are only a couple feather starts showing. Her back is red from sunburn I guess, but it'll become frostbitten soon. Is there anything I can do? Why aren't the feathers coming back, I wonder? Thanks for your help...

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    maybe they take long to grow in this case...i don't know...i hope someone with the answer comes along...good luck tho...

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I have a Silkie that i need to trim toenails on for the same reason, they curl back. Usually when they are out and about free-ranging it keeps their nails trimmed, but some birds just have funny toes an their nails don't get filed down. If they are longer then half an inch I would trim them, just a little at a time. Keep some cornstarch or bleed stop handy in case you trim too far.
    How long has your RIR been like this? Their skin will turn permanently red where they experience long term feather loss. I have a girl who has this on her head from being over mated by the rooster and her feathers have yet to grow back. If you are seeing feathers, then she should grow back some. But your RIR feathers probably won't grow back unless you separate from either the rooster or the hen that is constantly packing at her causing this feather loss.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    No need to trim the toenails unless they have growing problem ( not growing out straight ).

Feathers will never grow back until a molt. The red back will be fine after the molt when your hen has a pretty new back of feathers. I'll bet on it!

bigzio

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by