triple yoke egg

I've had a few double yolks. I think it's actually my smallest chicken who lays them, too, for some reason. I haven't had a triple yolk yet, but I've also only had chickens for a bit over a year now so they might still surprise me.

It is really rare to have a three yolker. I have seen a photo posted on here but can't remember how long ago that was.

A hen's internal egg making factory is set up to release one yolk at a time the day before the egg will be laid. It takes about 25 hours from when the yolk is released until the egg is laid. If the hen accidentally releases two yolks on the same day but spread out a bit you can get two eggs in one day. If the two yolks are released at the same time you usually get a double yolked egg. So she would have to really mess up to release three at one time.

Supposedly there have been some eggs with more than three yolks but I can't remember what the record is.

Do you ever get a soft-shelled or really thin-shelled egg? That often means she laid two eggs in one day and did not have enough shell material to cover the second egg.

I wish my husband had not took it upon his self to eat it. he is not up on working his phone, i don’t believe he has used it to take pics. I wish he would have at least eased it in a coved dish until i got home and i could of took a pic. The egg was very big. i do have the shell. i have never seen or heard of a triple yoke egg. Needless to say my husband was in the dog house with me because i wanted a pic of it. i really would like to know which pullet layed it. i have Ee’rs n i have some other pullets that lay brown eggs. I did buy 1 isa brown n 1 golden comet chick. i’m really to the point i don’t know what i have. Some lay blue, pink, green and brown 🤷🏼‍♀️

It is really rare to have a three yolker. I have seen a photo posted on here but can't remember how long ago that was.

A hen's internal egg making factory is set up to release one yolk at a time the day before the egg will be laid. It takes about 25 hours from when the yolk is released until the egg is laid. If the hen accidentally releases two yolks on the same day but spread out a bit you can get two eggs in one day. If the two yolks are released at the same time you usually get a double yolked egg. So she would have to really mess up to release three at one time.

Supposedly there have been some eggs with more than three yolks but I can't remember what the record is.

Do you ever get a soft-shelled or really thin-shelled egg? That often means she laid two eggs in one day and did not have enough shell material to cover the second egg.
no not yet. i’ve had a couple brown double yolkers and then this triple yolk

jum.PNG

This is my triple, I set it and 2 of the 3 yolks were fertile. One yolk died on day 10, as is normal, but the last embryo lived until day 17 which is amazing.
I also had this one, which was not fertile that was a triple.
eggtt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom