...tripping over his wing?

SunnyDayz

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Sunny FL
Our leghorn rooster is about 13 weeks old. He's been crowing for at least 3 weeks now (isn't that early?).
He started doing this weird-looking thing that I'm sure is realted to him 'growing up'... He walks around and starts tripping over his wing. usually it is only one wing. Then he'll jump. He did it around my son the other day (he's one year old) and I took it as a sign to shoo him away. I tried to grab him (hold him upside down maybe) but he is way to fast and flighty.
What is he doing and why???

Roosters like to dance for their hens. It's a very funny instinct.
big_smile.png

Okay, why would he be courting my son?! He did it again, and then he jumped up and bumped his chest! (my son's chest)... It didn't hurt him, but he wasn't too happy about being bumped by a chicken.
We are trying to find a home for this bird, but what do I do in the meantime?? I'd grab him by the legs if I could catch him
roll.png

Quote:
Easy for me to do, but my one year old? ...not so easy, lol. I just won't let them out while Ds is playing outside.

Get rid of the roo asap. An aggressive roo can do a lot of damage both to your sons feelings about chickens, and to him physically. Once that roo has spurs he can draw blood!

it brings one wing down to its leg, then does in around another living thing, it does that so it can scare the animals away, and it gets some good scratchin too!!!
tongue.png

He is trying to assert his dominance. My 1 year old OEG roo does that to the hens when he wants them to move and to me when he wants to fight.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom