Trouble Hatching

ENGEC35

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2018
Are all breeds hard to monitor through incubating? We have a group of Speckled Sussex eggs, we have not seen air cell growth and it seems like we have trouble seeing the air cell also.

Could this be due to the color? I read that a lot of others can see much more clearly, can identify the air cell and the beak if the chick has already pipped.

We just haven't been able to see any of this stuff throughout our process. We're at Day 18

What are you using for a candler? Sussex eggs are brown, but not such a dark brown that a good candler wouldn't be able to see into them.

I think that your candling device is not bright enough and you are not taking the eggs into a dark room to candle. I like the Incuview flashlight for candling with fresh batteries. I can see the air cell in my Black Copper Marans eggs with this light. Not much else of course but enough. Your sussex eggs should be relatively easy to candle.

I think that your candling device is not bright enough and you are not taking the eggs into a dark room to candle. I like the Incuview flashlight for candling with fresh batteries. I can see the air cell in my Black Copper Marans eggs with this light. Not much else of course but enough. Your sussex eggs should be relatively easy to candle.

The brand is Titan Incubators, it is a high intensity egg candler, I think it's very bright-- get a direct shot at the eyeball and you wont be seeing much of anything else for a little while :hmm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N153NVH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the eggs in a place where it can be very dark when I candle. I usually make sure its dark before I look too, I think I am just not recognizing what I am seeing. :caf

Also, they were shipped eggs, and I think they all have broken air cells, which has not helped, as they look completely different than what all my advise is describing. :confused:

Don't know much about where we stand now, except that the chicks were jumping and bouncing around in their shells when we candled them last, so we know they are growing and very ALIVE! :wee

Back
Top Bottom