1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trouble in the hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebel yell, Feb 4, 2012.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Here lately I have been having trouble after the eggs go into the hatcher,
    The chick will pip quit & die but some wont even pip at all
    I have checked them after I take the eggs out of the hatcher & the yoke has already been absorbed, it just quit & died
    first 17 days are in a Hovabator Genesis 1588 & holds temp good running at 40-45% humidity
    The 18th day they go into a Hovabator 1602 running a fan at 99-100 deg. & 70-75% humidity
    Anybody got any suggestions ?

2. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Rebel - I don't know. I'm figuring my way through the whole hatching process as well, but some people swear by a dry hatch. Have you tried a dry hatch? Any sign that your chicks are drowning?

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    How large are the air cells on the eggs that don't hatch? Are the hens receiving a breeder ration before egg collecting or a regular lay formula?

4. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama

No not that I can tell, everything seems normel

5. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Would this impact the hatch?

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The overall size of the air cell can indicate moisture loss from the egg. An air cell that is really large may indicate that too much moisture has been lost and a smaller one, that not enough moisture has been lost. Some folks weigh their eggs to determine moisture loss. There are many other threads here with the details of those techniques. I use dry incubation and add NO water at all until lockdown to bring humidity up to 50-60% only. My humidity during the first 18 days is 20-25%. I have excellent results and do not use any other method to hatch chicken eggs.

7. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    When I firsted hatching I did it this way & done good (dry methiod) but if I dont put water in it now it will go to 16% humidity,
    Aint that a little low, Right now its running about 45-46%, Would the fan be the cause in the hatcher ?
    I need to get this worked out soon I got some very importent eggs going in it in about 3 weeks.

8. Provident Acres

Provident Acres Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I never let mine fall below 25% for very long. I keep my humidity between 25-40% during incubation and 60-65% for hatch. If it was me I would leave the important eggs in the genesis and not move them. The only issue the fan would cause in the hatcher would be drying out the membranes after they pip and before they could hatch and that's really only if your opening the lid during lockdown. I would try backing down on the humidity level at hatch. The ones that didn't pip the shell, did they pip the membrane inside?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by