Trouble selling Seramas?

I too have seramas and I find its rather a small market for them. I live just outside Hudson wi and sold a cockerel for $15. I have a beautiful rooster and hen right now and just waiting for her to come to maturity. Only advice I can give is keep trying.

I don't know doodly about Seramas but I can attest to the fact that Dominique chicks are highly entertaining.

Do Seramas make good fried chicken or are they better roasted or baked?

I just hold the feet and drip them in the deep fryer
big_smile.png

look dinner on the hoof , foot, whatever
38899_100_1629.jpg

hubby threatens them when they peep at night

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble selling Seramas, and I agree that posting pics and calling them "miniature chickens" with pics to attest to their adult size, will help wonders. Here, they cost at least twice that much, sometimes three or four if a place has quality birds. And I sure would love quality birds at your price!

It's all demographics I think.

I used to sell silkies better than any other bird. But mine were for eating and the market for live ones was pretty good back home due to their medicinal value to some cultures.

I'm sure I could sell Dominiques for $3 a chick but they're boring.

Actually I get more than $3 an egg for my Dominique hatching eggs. Again this year I will not be able meet the demand for adult birds [just don't have room to grow that many to maturity] You may regard them as boring but which of us is having trouble selling our birds. Good thing you find Seramas interesting since it sounds like you're gonna be stuck with a lot of them.​

there have been a number of folks who have sold " pet quality seramas" everybody who ever wanted a serama probably has one by now I just sold a coupla pairs last chicken swap I went to and people were crazy about them and yea a lot of dominickers here go for 3-5$ each here seramas are better in gumbo LOL I am breeding a broad breasted one these days I may be the frank perdue of seramas LOL

Last edited:
I do think they are good pets. They are one breed I've considered for my neice if she decides she wants to show, just because they are so sweet. However, I don't know much about their breed standard, etc. and to me it just looks like a ton of breeders have a million colors and color combination and there's no consistency. If that is the case, I'd rather she go with Japs or another bantam breed that she could get some bred to standard birds and have a go at it in the youth rings.

As far as selling them as pets, I think a lot of people feel, hey, it's half the chicken, I should pay half the price. But they do want a chicken. It's like breeding pet horses - there are not enough homes that are willing to house and feed them. I don't know of many people in this area that want to keep a chicken in their house, or have a chicken that is so frail and hard to maintain.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom