Trouble selling Seramas?

Quote:
Very good advice. Thanks!

Yes, very good advice! I do all this except "name drop" about the bloodlines of my birds. I was slightly "lectured" on the Serama thread about how you shouldn't name drop when breeding birds - it is bad form. Not sure if it really is or not, but I decided just to say I acquired my birds from reputable breeders around the country.

Last edited:
Quote:
Go ahead and use names judiciously. Don't pin a big name on a low quality bird just to move it, but the breeders of your stock have a lot to do with what they look like, and it may be important to a buyer. Background also has a lot to do with what the offspring will look like. For example, if you are selling a black Serama from Junebug's stock, you can be pretty sure that the buyer can get black chicks from it. If you buy a black one from me, even I wouldn't know how it came about, and you can be fairly certain that it won't breed true. In that respect, if the buyer has specific goals, knowing the breeders from way back in your bloodlines can be an important selling point.

Quote:
Go ahead and use names judiciously. Don't pin a big name on a low quality bird just to move it, but the breeders of your stock have a lot to do with what they look like, and it may be important to a buyer. Background also has a lot to do with what the offspring will look like. For example, if you are selling a black Serama from Junebug's stock, you can be pretty sure that the buyer can get black chicks from it. If you buy a black one from me, even I wouldn't know how it came about, and you can be fairly certain that it won't breed true. In that respect, if the buyer has specific goals, knowing the breeders from way back in your bloodlines can be an important selling point.

That's good to know, thank you! I have been very careful about saying where my stock came from, but I will make sure that my higher end birds from those breeding lines are mentioned if it is important. I've pretty much been letting people ask me and then I tell them.

Thank you for bringing this up, I do not sell seramas, but when I buy them, I really do ask a lot of questions like that, where they came from, how long they have been breeding them, what the past generations were like, I specifically ask where their stock started from , and try to follow that stock back - interesting to know that name dropping is sort of not encouraged to use a selling point

I can see the point -- I see soo many marans listed as Wade Jean or Bev Davis stock with no other info on CL

I wish you lived closer! $5 is very cheap. I paid $4 for day old polish. Anything unusual should command a higher price. Maybe if your ad said something about their size in relation to silkie size? It's hard for some people to picture what theyre getting and seramas, in pictures, look at a glance like more common birds. Of course if you lived closer I'd be in trouble because I promised to not get any more chickens.

I got my Seramas for a hobby and do not intend to sell them. The Serama is a pet chicken or a show bird and with the economy the way it is a lot of people are looking for chickens they can use. Maybe if there were more shows around the country it would be worth raising birds strictly for show. There is only one show a year in my area and it is a hour drive which is not bad, but I would not breed alot of show birds for one show. I intend to contact the local 4H groups and give the young people birds if they would like to start a project with them and not breed at all if I do not have good homes for the babies.

Thanks for all of the replies and advise. I think I'll let them grow a bit instead of selling chicks. After all my goal is not to make money, but to improve my own stock and quality can't be judged at a few days old!

Here is my box o' chicks, and there are 12 more in the 'bator:

Box-O-Chicks.jpg

As you can see, most are whites. White is the only color accepted in the standard, but I must admit I like the rainbow of colors that my other Seramas produce.

This has all been good advice if I ever have mine breed. I have a couple as pets who I think are adorable.
smile.png
I don't think anyone in my area has any or sells any. There might be a market for them here. Mine live in my indoor garage and occassionslly my favorite comes inside. I let him lay in the bed with me when I read and stuff. They are small and sweet birds. I adore them! So far mine have been pretty hardy. Mine were shipped to me as chicks and survived the trip.

Quote:
Squeal!!!! Where are you located in nc??? I might be interested.
smile.png
do you have a website I can see with your available birds. I need a few normal feathered females. I have 3 boys. 2 girls. And one of my girls is a curly feathered pullet.

Quote:
I am not sure how close you are to the fairgrounds in Raleigh but I have made a ton of money selling there and the farmers market in Raleigh

Back
Top Bottom