Trouble with a broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lukewride, Apr 8, 2009.

1. lukewride

lukewride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    Hello!!

My hen is sitting on 6 eggs 9 days into incubation but she keeps either accidently or purposly knocking eggs out of ther nest box. I've come home from work on 2 occasions and the same egg has been kicked out twice.. and the 2nd time i put it back under her at the back..

its all ver confusing..

has anyone else had this problem before?

and also, if the eggs are cold to touch does that mean they are dead?
    I've always put them back under her in the hope that they're fine..

anyway, any help appreciated!!

Luke

2. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    She's kicking out the bad ones. Somehow they just know when an egg is no good. One of natures wonderful little mysteries.

3. lukewride

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    i have candled the ones shes kicked out and they werent dark like a few of the others. thats amazing..

i diddent believe my mum when she said that.. i'll have rto apoligise to her lol...

thanks

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    [​IMG] from Sweet Home Alabama. Our feathered friends are totally amazing and just shows you the hens knows what she is doing. Now this hen is probabley thinking "what is wrong with you." [​IMG] Sorry I couldn't help that one. [​IMG] I myself have placed a egg back under the hen so don't feel like you are the only one.

Now tell you mom so she can get her "I told you so's out of the way." [​IMG] Good luck with the rest of the hatch!

5. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Wow! That's pretty cool.

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    The live, growing chicks start to generate body heat. The dead ones don't. The hen feels those cold eggs under her and kicks them out.

7. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Makes since.

8. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    If you didn't see the dark shapes in the bad egg that means there is no chick growing inside. And if it's cold that means there is no chick too. That is amazing how the hen can pick out the bad ones.

9. lukewride

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    Its amazing... i've been trying to work it out all day. the body heat theory makes sence.

It takes me 2 attempts and 2 torches to work out what the hells going on in there and she knew all along..

thanks for the help!

10. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Wow, I wondered that.....I have been accusing my 4 yr old daughter & 2 yr old son of getting in there and disturbing her eggs!! LOL I bet it was never even them!!!

Learn something new every day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by