Trouble with a broody hen

They can smell bad eggs, too. They turn the eggs with their beaks, so they're up close and personal with them and they can smell which ones are good and which ones are getting funky. I used to freak when the broodies would toss an egg out, but they haven't been wrong, yet!

Makes you wonder what that chicken is thinking when we do stuff like this (I would be totally guilty of returning the egg to the nest).

Right now I have a broody girl trying to hatch eggs (that haven't been fertilized because I don't currently have a roo)... and let me tell you what - everytime I grab the eggs from under her I get cussed out in chicken!
rant.gif

gig.gif

my chicks are 4 weeks old and 1 of them are starting to turn there toes inwards any advice or help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Two things you can do.

1} Start yourself a new topic in the emergencys section and that way more folks will have a chance to see it and give you a answer.

2} Try the search button on top of the page and type in key words what you are looking for. I have read many threads on this subject so I know there is good info out there for your bird. Good luck and keep us informed.

Sara

Broody hens are more than 50% instinct. They can tell when something is wrong. If she sences that the egg will be bad, there would be no reason not to throw it out. If she is throwing out different eggs every time, she is probobly being bothered by other hens or is uncomfortable.

~Rio

Back
Top Bottom