Trouble with chickens roosting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dawniesunshine, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Dawniesunshine

Dawniesunshine Hatching

Apr 25, 2019
    I have read many threads since I got started with my little 5 golden comet flock a year ago in july. I appreciate the content on this site! It has been amazing and we love our chicks so much. They were about 5 weeks old when we got them last year in July. I have a situation where they only seem to use their roosting bar over night every 3rd night or so. I followed some advice I read and have poop pans under the bar but I consistently see a lot of poop elsewhere, mainly around the small opening that leads up into the coop from the run.
    I’m assuming, there is something wrong with my layout. Any thoughts? It seems that the threads I read say they will roost when they’re ready but mine roost sometimes and not other times AND they are going on a year old in July. Is this concerning or not? Thank you!

IrishLad61 and to BarbsGirls like this.
  2. Photos?

aart and IrishLad61 like this.
  3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Definitely post pictures. It's pretty tough to offer advice when we can't see what might help.

IrishLad61 likes this.
  4. Dawniesunshine

Dawniesunshine Hatching

Apr 25, 2019
    61757C7A-0BC8-4E61-ADC6-31BA9B258F7D.jpeg This is a pic from when we were building it. It was not finished at the time but now to the left are the 2 nesting boxes and to the right is a bit of an open area where the opening from the run below leads up into. From where the photo is being taken is a door that has hinges along the top that is able to be closed at night.
    (I’m sorry, I’m new to this and may not be thinking of all the information needed to get the whole picture.)

IrishLad61 likes this.
  5. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Songster

Dec 16, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Chickens will not die if they don't roost where their owners think they should.

6. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    I have two red sex linked hens that prefer to sleep on the straw inside the coop. It doesn't affect the way that they lay eggs or the way that they live, they like sleeping that way so I let them. They are very healthy birds, they just don't like to roost!

IrishLad61 likes this.
  7. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    I have hens that dont always sleep on the roost to. And have been using both hay and the roost for about half a year. Their healthy. It's possible that yours simply like sleeping in both places.

IrishLad61 and chkva like this.
  8. Dawniesunshine

Dawniesunshine Hatching

Apr 25, 2019
    Thank you so much! I just didn’t know if I should be concerned or if I was doing something wrong- so that is great to know. Thanks again for your responses.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It looks to me like your coop doesn't have any elevation to it.
    Normally nests are anywhere from near floor level to about 2 or 3 feet up. Then the roosts need to be significantly higher than the nests. It doesn't look like your chickens feel they are gaining any elevation when they go to roost. Chickens left to their own devices will sleep in trees.

10. DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    Mass Hilltowns
    My coop, inside a shed, is not 100% finished yet. Consequently, sometimes things are moved or changed around and there's construction and tool items in the other half of shed.
    So far, I have one hen who prefers to sit on the top of the nesting boxes (picture a 4' bookcase with dividers added.)
    There's always one who gets roosty on one of my pallets leaning against the wall (outside of the actual coop!)
    Some gals like to nap during the day in a nest box, the ones closest to ground, or on the feed bag I placed in the corner behind the table saw.
    Two ladies prefer to roost together on a freebie I picked up - a wooden dowel retail display rack (like for ornaments.)
    Most of the gals really like the old rickety wood ladder DH donated to them.

Before the coop was capable of housing them, I had made a temporary house from a shipping crate and pallet wood. It'll be perfect for ducks later, as there's no room for roosting bars. The girls just snuggled up in their shavings.
    When I was a kid, we had a few chickens who refused to coop. They always slept in the big pine.

Chickens are funny things. I think yours will be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: