1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trouble with chicks and ramp

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Isabella F, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Isabella F

Isabella F Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2017
    Ct
    My month old chicks have moved outside four days ago and are either too small or haven't figured out the ramp to get into the sleeping part if the coop. Does anyone know why or how to fix this?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Did you put them the coop to start with and let them figure out how to come down the ramp on their own?

No feed in their sleeping area----sprinkle feed down the ramp and give them time on their own to ease down it to eat might work.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You need to train them to use the ramp...I use a stick to herd them up the ramp....They usually don't know on their own...I trained my Ducks and all I say is bedtime and they waddle up the ramp so I can lock them in for the night...

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This^^^^
    I also use a training ramp, like training wheels on kids bike-haha.
    Feed on the ramp is key IMO
    [​IMG]

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your the best.... :frow

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's taken mine just over a week to go to the coop at night. Feed and water are outside so they wandered down the ramp first day and now practically run down. Had to pick them up and place in coop for 8 days and last night, 9th day all but six went in on their own. Figure all will go in tonight. Little different each year but in general takes about a week for them to use the ramp to go back into coop for night.

7. SewCluck

SewCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2016
    Yucaipa, CA
    Food!! I would place feed or scratch on the ramp for a few days. After that they did it on their own. Good luck!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I got SO lucky this year....only had to round them up one night..I was amazed and very happy. I hate playing the big bad 'Chick Chasing Monster'.

9. Abriana

Abriana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    I just go out and put them in by hand until they have more developed wings. The mama will show them how.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by