Trouble with humidity...suggestions??

skyedobb

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Quad Cities, IA
Hi all,

I'm trying to get my incubator stabilized for the first time since last summer. My temps have stabilized but I can't get my humidity over 40% or so. Sometimes I get it up to 50% for a little while then it goes back down. I have an LG with a auto turner and I've mounted a 3" computer fan to make it forced air. I can't get my humidity up when the fan is on or when it's off. I wouldn't be so worried (could just leave fan off or mount a smaller one) except that if I can't get it up wtihout the fan, then my last 3 days of setting are going to make for some sticky egg membranes and unhatchable chicks.... Sooo frustrated!! I've been working on this since Monday. I've tried putting just water in the reservoirs, using wet towels to soak up the water, sealing the venting holes on top (don't want to seal them all b/c still need some fresh air intake/output), wrapping all seams with tape, wrapping the bottom/sides of the bator with a blanket...I'm running out of ideas! I've been saving eggs this week to set but I can't get this darn thing stabilized! Help!

I'd double check the calibration on your hygrometer.

The best way to increase humidity is to increase the wet surface area. I would try a wet sponge or cloth and put it in front of the fan. The air moving across the wet surface will increase the humidity.

I haven't checked calibration, that's a good idea. I'm using 2 temp/hygrom's from Walmart and both are showing nearly the same temp and humidity, so I'd like to believe since they're reading the same that they're correct, but calibrating is a great idea. I'll also try the sponge technique.

Thanks!

I got 2 different styles and brands of those digital temp. and humidity gauges from Wally World.
Was having low humidity readings before I calibrated them in a 1gal ziplock bag with wet salt in a cup.
Supposedly the humidity should read 75% after 6ish hours. They were both WAY off. One was reading 57% the other 62%
temps are both reading within 1.5 degrees of a certified laboratory mercury reference thermometer. Happy about that but the vast error on the humidity could be bad news for hatching eggs.

I also have an LG forced air with an auto turner. I have found that one corner of mine is a good 3 degrees cooler than all the others. Didn't matter what thermometer I had in there. I rotated them around to make sure I was correct.

I have the same problem with the humidity. What I did was fill the reservoirs with water then also have towels (clean rags) along the bottom on all four sides so that when it the humidity needs to be raised I can put my aquarium hose in there and add hot water. I put four in so that at lockdown I will have plenty of surface area to hopefully keep my humidity up. and the way I did it, I can add water without opening the lid by using vent holes. I also put tape around the cooler side and it seems to help some but not much. At this point though I don't have eggs over there so it is ok.

I have had no problems with the exact setup that you are using now that I am using sponges. In the morning and evening, I take them out of the bator and load them with HOT water. During lockdown, I will strategically place them under the vent holes so I can add water with a straw and syringe.

When my humidity drops I put a sponge in the microwave for a few seconds. When it comes out it's steaming...that gets it up quickly. When my humidity is satisfactory I take it out. Hope you are able to get everything stable!
fl.gif

Ida

Thanks for all the suggestions! I put in sponges and that helped. Overnight tonight I'm going to calibrate and see what I get. I had them calibrated last year but didn't redo it this year, so that could be the reason!

Back
Top Bottom