Trouble with new Tom Turkey

sammyrose

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2016
:frow Hey everyone!! Soooo ... I raised my two hens with my 2 drakes, they are now a year old and maturing. My hens started laying eggs and "squatting" whenever I walked past them so I figured they were ready for a male. Yay!! So I brought a 2 year old Narragansett male home for them. Couple problems I'm having ... 1- My roosters attacked him immediately, they are significantly smaller and have been beaten up quite good. So I separated the Tom, hes in an enclosure by himself but can still hear the hens clucking and it gets him all riled up. 2- My hens seem to not be interested in mating with the new tom. Hes very handsome, experienced, and struts like a champ, but the hens seem to only "squat" for the drakes :he. I think I broke my hens lol
I'm new to raising turkeys, and have no idea what to do. So I guess Im just here looking for some experienced Turkey lovers to point me in the right direction.

:frow Hey everyone!! Soooo ... I raised my two hens with my 2 drakes, they are now a year old and maturing. My hens started laying eggs and "squatting" whenever I walked past them so I figured they were ready for a male. Yay!! So I brought a 2 year old Narragansett male home for them. Couple problems I'm having ... 1- My roosters attacked him immediately, they are significantly smaller and have been beaten up quite good. So I separated the Tom, hes in an enclosure by himself but can still hear the hens clucking and it gets him all riled up. 2- My hens seem to not be interested in mating with the new tom. Hes very handsome, experienced, and struts like a champ, but the hens seem to only "squat" for the drakes :he. I think I broke my hens lol
I'm new to raising turkeys, and have no idea what to do. So I guess Im just here looking for some experienced Turkey lovers to point me in the right direction.
If possible pen your turkey hens with your new tom away from the other poultry. They have to go through the pecking order rituals and it may take some time for everyone to get to know each other. As long as your hens squat (unfortunately you imprinted them with the ducks), your tom won't care who they are squatting for and will get the job done.

If possible pen your turkey hens with your new tom away from the other poultry. They have to go through the pecking order rituals and it may take some time for everyone to get to know each other. As long as your hens squat (unfortunately you imprinted them with the ducks), your tom won't care who they are squatting for and will get the job done.

Hes in an area right now that I feel isnt big enough for the 3 of them. until the snow melts here its the only option I have. If I put them in with him will the girls feel cornered or threatened and all start fighting?

Hes in an area right now that I feel isnt big enough for the 3 of them. until the snow melts here its the only option I have. If I put them in with him will the girls feel cornered or threatened and all start fighting?
It's not a good idea to keep unfamiliar turkeys in cramped quarters. It's not a good idea to keep any turkeys in cramped quarters. As son as you can make an acceptable size area, you can pen them together then. Once the hens go broody, you will want to separate the tom from the hens.

ok, I figured as much. sorry I have one more question :barnie... I do believe the one hen has already started to go broody, she sat on the nest for most of the day yesterday.not sure if thats because shes gone broody or was trying to escape the commotion. If she has gone broody have a missed my chance to breed her this season?

ok, I figured as much. sorry I have one more question :barnie... I do believe the one hen has already started to go broody, she sat on the nest for most of the day yesterday.not sure if thats because shes gone broody or was trying to escape the commotion. If she has gone broody have a missed my chance to breed her this season?
If she has gone broody and does not have a clutch of eggs that she can hatch she will start the breeding cycle all over again and try to lay and hatch another clutch.

You can help prevent her broodiness by making it so that she can no longer use that nest and keep removing any eggs that she may lay.

If she has gone broody and does not have a clutch of eggs that she can hatch she will start the breeding cycle all over again and try to lay and hatch another clutch.

You can help prevent her broodiness by making it so that she can no longer use that nest and keep removing any eggs that she may lay.

Ok. thank you so much for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom