Trouble with Silver Laced Wyandottes

carrierose

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2014
Keno, OR
I have had five Silver Laced Wyandotte hens. Every single one wound up with a prolapsed vent and Ilost each one of them. None of my other hens have had this problem and I have 56 chickens of many different breeds including Golden Laced Wyandottes and Columbian Wyandottes. Does anyone know if this is common with the Silver Laced Wyandottes? I am to the point that I won't have the Silver Laced Wyandottes because I keep losing them to the same problem. I love the Wyandottes, they are sweet birds but, I am not going to waste any more money on them if this is a problem they are prone to.

I've never had that happen to my of my SLW. Prolapse can be more common in pullets that mature too quickly, or fat birds. It can also can be genetic if all the hens were related.

What were you feeding them, and were you providing crushed oyster shell on the side for calcium supplementation? I had 2 silver and 2 golden laced wyandottes, and had no problems with prolapses, but I did eventually give them away because they were a bit agressive to my other hens.

Back
Top Bottom