: ( Trouble with tape

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Adri_San27, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Adri_San27

Adri_San27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    I was holding one of my chicks (just a few days old), and he fell off my hand onto the table... and onto a loose piece of masking tape. It's stuck directly under his wing and he's unable to fold it correctly... making the wing stick out to the side. I'm worried that peeling the tape might hurt its wing by removing fluff or damaging the joint and leaving the tape might cause it to be badly formed as it matures. Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Do you have a pair of very small scissors that you can gently cut some of the chick fluff off close to the tape?

3. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Use oil....vegetable or mineral.....it will unsticky it. It's good for getting gum out of kids hair too.

4. Adri_San27

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    I'll have to continue looking for my pair of small medical scissors, but with some kitchen shears I've trimmed the tape as much as I could. The rest seems firmly attached to the underside of the chick's wing.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I wonder if a pet clipper would help? I have a horse clipper that has a #40 blade that cuts hair off RIGHT next to the skin; of course, you'd have to be VERY VERY careful!

6. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oil or peanut butter will both work. However if you can get it out without pulling the wing joints I would not worry about the fluff, it's going to get replaced soon anyway.

7. Nif

Nif Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    some veg oil will take it right off...better to be missing a few feathers than permanently deformed!

8. Adri_San27

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    I know I don't need any more ugly deformed chicks (one from that hatch was butt UGLLLYYY!!). I think I'll try the peanut butter when I get done with school. I bet the other chicks will go crazy over him after though with all the peanut butter lol!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by