Trouble with the neighbor.

I for danged sure ain't gonna be popular saying what I have to say------------------------

If I understand, Animal Control has said that the chickens are in violation because of distance from neighbor's house, (doesn't matter if it's the problem nieghbor or not). Ordinance is an ordinance, doesn't say anyone has to complain.

And the OP kept 19 that's 19 yes 19 cockerals in her yard.

Knowing what we know about the public in general keeping 19 cockerals is close proximity to any nieghbor (s) is just asking for trouble.

And trouble came calling.

Ya'll know that some people out their would view the crowing of 19 cockerals in the same light that most of us would view the playing of window rattling rap music. Barking dogs, screaming kids, loud music, crowing rooster (s), loud motorcycle, same - same.

That being said I believe the nieghbor also lacks the sense to deal with problems in a constructive manner, his threat against the OPs chickens, the invasion of her land bare witness to that. But the 19 cockerals got the ball rolling along, didn't they?

Fuss at me, cuss at me, still don't change the situation.

Got to have limits on everything, just because it's chickens making the noise doesn't mean it's okay. I live in a rural area, up until a few years ago I didn't have a nieghbor for 1/4 mile. I raise cockerals sometimes by the 100. Ordered the left over special from McMurry once or twice a year. After they get to 12 weeks or so THEY ARE NOISEY! You guys know that, it's common knowledge or should be here on the chicken forum.

Thank you TipsyDog and TwentyNine, for being voices of reason.

I certainly know I'm not my friendliest at 6 am, especially if I was woken up at 4am! I'm amazed at all the people here who never said a hasty word they later regret.
wink.png

I also agree that there might be a new ordinance in your future regarding chicken keeping. I'd personally be spending plenty of time making nice to all the neighbors and writing a letter to town council or code enforcement detailing that you only keep a reasonable number of hens per your lot...5? 10?

Written law is more about who is interpreting it, than what was actually meant in most towns. In our area, when the law states "from a residence" it's usually associated with property lines.

I'm surprised with 19 meat birds the SMELL wasn't an issue.

1. The OP said they planned to butcher the roosters shortly

2. The neighbor has threatened to shoot towards their house. A pellet gun can kill you just as easily as a .45

3. Neighbor is now harrassing the OP by tresspassing and shooting video of their home.

4. Roosters are gone.

Summrluv said: "I also agree that there might be a new ordinance in your future regarding chicken keeping. I'd personally be spending plenty of time making nice to all the neighbors and writing a letter to town council or code enforcement detailing that you only keep a reasonable number of hens per your lot...5? 10?"
Good idea, as a matter of fact:

I think I'd try to get ahead in the game by writing an ordinance the way you think it should be and proposing it to the city council. I'm sure someone on here could direct you to one of the better ones already in force in another city....

However, since the OP has birds prior to any ordinance being passed that would restrict them, she would be grandfathered in with whatever restrictions are currently in place.

Quote:
Nope no word. The animal control guy way overstepped his legal boundaries with the "three day" time limit, and I'm sure he knows it.
Since he did not try to enforce it, I am left to assume that he did it on purpose to "bully" me into complying without him having to go through all the legal routes.
Since the roos are gone, it seems like he has no interest in inforcing the coop location rules when nobody is complaining (which is basically what he said the first time he was here) and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I don't think mr "I'm with the DA" is smart enough to suggest changing the ordinance, and it doesn't seem like the animal control guy is very interested in playing the legal hoops either...
BUT I was thining, what if I were to propose that they reduce the footage limitation, and replace it with a bird limit or something? On the grounds that 6-8 hens only won't make enough noise or smell to make the 100ft rule necessary - maybe it could be reduced to 50ft? I dunno, was just an idea that I had.

If everybody is leaving it alone, it might be a good idea for you to do the same. If any of the players in this had come back to try and make you get rid of your chickens I'd say yes, go ahead and propose something. When in doubt do nothing...

Back
Top Bottom