Trout N Grey Indian Runners

Remember that EACH parent has TWO sets of genes. This is how you build the Punnett Square.

A blue trout has one but not both "blue" genes turned on.

A blue boy trout would be M+M+ li li e+ e+ D+D+ and Bl bl (Bl for not blue and bl for blue). Because all other genes are same-pairs (homozygous) the babies will come out like the parents... except for the Blue/blue.

Mom
(not) Blue

blue
Dad
(not) Blue

Blue Blue
(trout)

Blue blue
(blue)
blue

Blue blue
(blue)

blue blue
(apricot)

Blue trout x blue trout will give you 1/4 blue blue (apricot trout), 1/2 Blue blue (blue trout), and 1/4 Blue Blue (regular trout).

Your brown (golden) trout, on the other hand, has:

M+M+ li li e+ e+ d d (boy) or d - (girl) and Bl Bl (not blue). The girl only has one d (brown) gene because girls have one shorter sex chromosome and the brown gene sits on the missing part. So the girl only has one brown gene but she only needs the one to look brown. Brown and buff, as far as I know, are the only sex-linked genes.

Gold (brown) trouts are homozygous all the way through and should breed true and give you 100% gold trout.

Of course this is all theoretical genetics. Ducks will surprise us, and sometimes we think they have one gene and they have another. For example, it is unlikely but possible that your brown trouts could carry recessive white and some babies could be pure white. This makes breeding more fun! It is only after test breeding enough ducklings that you can be somewhat sure of the exact genetics of the parents.

Post pics of the babies when you have them!!!

I had 7 blue trout eggs in the incubator and they are all not fertile after 7 days.
idunno.gif

The gold trouts are very cute

the one on the bottom left is gold.

Remember that EACH parent has TWO sets of genes. This is how you build the Punnett Square.

A blue trout has one but not both "blue" genes turned on.

A blue boy trout would be M+M+ li li e+ e+ D+D+ and Bl bl (Bl for not blue and bl for blue). Because all other genes are same-pairs (homozygous) the babies will come out like the parents... except for the Blue/blue.

Mom
(not) Blue

blue
Dad
(not) Blue

Blue Blue
(trout)

Blue blue
(blue)
blue

Blue blue
(blue)

blue blue
(apricot)

Blue trout x blue trout will give you 1/4 blue blue (apricot trout), 1/2 Blue blue (blue trout), and 1/4 Blue Blue (regular trout).

Your brown (golden) trout, on the other hand, has:

M+M+ li li e+ e+ d d (boy) or d - (girl) and Bl Bl (not blue). The girl only has one d (brown) gene because girls have one shorter sex chromosome and the brown gene sits on the missing part. So the girl only has one brown gene but she only needs the one to look brown. Brown and buff, as far as I know, are the only sex-linked genes.

Gold (brown) trouts are homozygous all the way through and should breed true and give you 100% gold trout.

Of course this is all theoretical genetics. Ducks will surprise us, and sometimes we think they have one gene and they have another. For example, it is unlikely but possible that your brown trouts could carry recessive white and some babies could be pure white. This makes breeding more fun! It is only after test breeding enough ducklings that you can be somewhat sure of the exact genetics of the parents.

Post pics of the babies when you have them!!!
DUCK HILL
I really appreciate you breaking down the genetics for me
thumbsup.gif

I am really looking forward to breeding the blue trouts.

I love all the Cinnamon brown and Latte shades.

The babies are darling! What is the one on the very right? It looks like a brown trout (golden) but I'm wondering as it seems to have much more yellow in the down as compared to the one on the lower right, and more striping on the head. Is it just natural variation in the trout color, or a different color?

Interesting that I bred a blue trout male to my trout female and out of ten eggs I had 7 non-fertile, 2 that started and immediately created a blood ring, and one that is growing normally. Same female, penciled runner dad - four out of four fertile and growing. So of 15 eggs I put in the incubator I have five growing.
barnie.gif

I want to breed trouts - but my only backup male is a blue dusky. I'm about to set some of those eggs in the incubator. We'll see if he's more fertile than the blue trout. All the F1 babies will be half trout (M+Md) which will look like trout. The F2 generation will have 1/4 full trout, but I might not be able to tell them apart from the half trout, which could be a problem. On the other hand, non-fertile males are a problem too! I hope that one fertile egg from my blue trout is a boy... and without his dad's "technical difficulties."

Back
Top Bottom