True or False?

chickenman98

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Eastern Oklahoma
someone told me that you could hatch cold eggs that come from the grocerie store. i dont think this is true because how would the eggs get turned during ride coming to the store because if you are waiting to put them in the incubator dont you have to turn them? if anyone knows if it is true or not please post.

Regular eggs that come from the grocery store aren't fertile. You'd have to buy fertile eggs for that to work. There is a company thatsells fertile eggs, but I can't remember the name. I read a thread on here about it.

No, that sounds like someone's trying to pull one on you--eggs from the grocery store aren't fertilized because the commercial egg-laying hens never see a rooster
lol.png
That's why you never find baby chicks inside them.

Last edited:
Trader Joes and other stores sell fertile eggs. I have read some posts of people who hatched them. Do a search on this site and see what you come up with.

The eggs I get from a local big chain grocery store are fertile, though they are probably so old that there would be no chance of hatching an chick from them.

Trader Joe's has fertile eggs like K8tieCat says...some people have purchased them, taken them home, brought them up to room temperature, tossed them in the bator and POOF out popped chickies! Crazy HuH?
smile.png

There have been reports of fertile eggs from one of the brands sold at Walmart. Many of the farms from which large chains acquire their eggs are not big commercial outfits, but smaller family farms, some of which are cage-free and have the odd rooster or two milling around and getting friendly with ladies. I am sure it is a rare occurrence, but it apparently does happen. I recall a post on here not too long ago where somebody claimed to have hatched a few Wally World eggs.

UGCM

Several people on here have hatched eggs from stores. I've hatched plenty of my own eggs after refrigerating and not turning them for a week or 2. I rarely actually turn any of the eggs I store unless I'm storing them for someone else. I still get hatch rates of 85% or higher.

Quote:
When I had bantam cochins I would collect and refrigerate the eggs for 2 weeks, then bring them all to room temp and incubate them together. I had many 100% hatch rates from that. I have enough silkie hens laying now that I don't have to do that...but if their laying wanes and I'm wanting to hatch, I'll do the same thing.

I saw "fertile" on an egg carton at a grocery store recently...so I'm sure you can hatch chicks from them.

Back
Top Bottom