True or False?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenman98, May 23, 2010.

1. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    someone told me that you could hatch cold eggs that come from the grocerie store. i dont think this is true because how would the eggs get turned during ride coming to the store because if you are waiting to put them in the incubator dont you have to turn them? if anyone knows if it is true or not please post.

2. mandyp

mandyp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Margaret, Alabama
    Regular eggs that come from the grocery store aren't fertile. You'd have to buy fertile eggs for that to work. There is a company thatsells fertile eggs, but I can't remember the name. I read a thread on here about it.

3. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    No, that sounds like someone's trying to pull one on you--eggs from the grocery store aren't fertilized because the commercial egg-laying hens never see a rooster [​IMG] That's why you never find baby chicks inside them.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Trader Joes and other stores sell fertile eggs. I have read some posts of people who hatched them. Do a search on this site and see what you come up with.

5. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    The eggs I get from a local big chain grocery store are fertile, though they are probably so old that there would be no chance of hatching an chick from them.

Trader Joe's has fertile eggs like K8tieCat says...some people have purchased them, taken them home, brought them up to room temperature, tossed them in the bator and POOF out popped chickies! Crazy HuH? [​IMG]

6. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    There have been reports of fertile eggs from one of the brands sold at Walmart. Many of the farms from which large chains acquire their eggs are not big commercial outfits, but smaller family farms, some of which are cage-free and have the odd rooster or two milling around and getting friendly with ladies. I am sure it is a rare occurrence, but it apparently does happen. I recall a post on here not too long ago where somebody claimed to have hatched a few Wally World eggs.

UGCM

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Several people on here have hatched eggs from stores. I've hatched plenty of my own eggs after refrigerating and not turning them for a week or 2. I rarely actually turn any of the eggs I store unless I'm storing them for someone else. I still get hatch rates of 85% or higher.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Some layer houses keep a few roos among the girls to entice them into laying. Apparently a crowing roo boosts production a little.

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:When I had bantam cochins I would collect and refrigerate the eggs for 2 weeks, then bring them all to room temp and incubate them together. I had many 100% hatch rates from that. I have enough silkie hens laying now that I don't have to do that...but if their laying wanes and I'm wanting to hatch, I'll do the same thing.

I saw "fertile" on an egg carton at a grocery store recently...so I'm sure you can hatch chicks from them.

10. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by