Trying again with my Old Drawer bator - 6 Babies! *PICS*

Good LUCK!!! Here's hoping it's a better go this time around. More ventilation will probably help.

I've gone to dry hatching in general. It seems to be working better. I try to keep it at 30-40 and then don't worry about it.

It's a whole lot simpler with staggered hatches that way as well. Which is also useful.

So goooooo drawer bator!

Thanks, walkswithdog!

I had to get in there today to adjust the temperature slightly. And of course... I couldn't resist doing one candling (this is actually pretty darned good for me!). I know that this is pretty much the only time (Day 6-7) you can clearly see anything in there. After this it gets too dark, so I won't be doing any more.

This is what I've found.

The double yolker has one developing embryo. The other yolk is free floating with no apparent development. So I might end up with a semi-twin chick if the egg hatches... though it will probably create a mess in the incubator when it does. All of my EE eggs are developing! The Rhode Island White eggs, on the other hand, were not developing. I left all eggs in the slots I first put them into on the turner so I can get an idea of if there are any trouble spots with heat anywhere. I've removed the RIW eggs (and checked, and 2 out of the 3 had the bullseye so were fertile, which is why I'm not giving up on them yet) and left those slots empty, and will try again later on with those eggs in another space. But for now, I've got 11 EE eggs in there, including the double yolker, that are developing babies.

Thank you, dancingbear!

I've been busy busy past few days. I'm trying to get back to everyone's emails as I'm able.

On the exciting end of things... I think its going to be success for the Old Drawer bator this time around! The 30th was their due date and just before midnight we had our first baby hatch!

Here he is!

grandbabychick1a.jpg

And yeah, we're fairly certain it's a boy... Never had any of my other baby EEs come out with such an apparent comb before.

grandbabychick1b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom