Trying again...

bobzant

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
Perry, IL
A few months ago i posted about a hen having what i suspected was an ear infection. Well whatever it is she still has it. Her ears are full of the orange cheesy looking stuff, and if you pull that out there is more whitish goo underneath. She's scratched so much both ears are scarred up around the outside. I've cleaned and cleaned trying to get it all out. I've tried peroxide, stuff to clean dogs ears with, and baby oil. The only things i could find to do. She's sitting on eggs right now so i've been keeping her in a pet carrier in the house. She was so sick last night i thought she might die. I really need some suggestions, because not much comes up when one types "ear infection in chickens" into the search bar.

Have you tried antibiotics in her water?

It's really the only thing I can think of. I do have a hen that has one ear like this. She is really old. I continue to clean it out, but I think it's time to start a round of antibiotics myself.

the only thing i can get ahold of is duramycin-10, is that the right kind of medicine?. and i dont know how much to put in the water because it is measured in like 1000 gallons of water.

Just trying to help. Maybe if you did a search for 'antibiotic shot' on this site you'd find something that would work faster? I wish I could help. I know for people ears you use a vinegar/vegetable oil mixture to ease ear problems until you can get help. Good luck!

I forgot to respond to this. Finally took Marilyn to the vet because she looked gravely ill. Turns out it was some kind of fungal infection! Weird huh? Thanks for all the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom