Trying all to break headstrong broody Silkie

Waves

I feed chickens with italian pizza. No,I'm joking!
Apr 16, 2019
Centre of Italy
Hi all. :frowMy silkie Batì is broody since 15th of May (aproximately)
I tried to:
close the coop - but she sits on the ground
put in the coop a wire floor - but she is broody the same
bring her with me when i go out - no results
I can' try to:
Bath her - cause she's very susceptible to being wet (she catches cold every time, even during the summer)
Give her some fertile eggs - cause i have some respiratory infection (not very mild) in my flock, [that the silkie "recatch" every time she's wet] and at the moment, i fear new outbreaks since i have an about-8-years-old-hen. Furthermore, i wouldn't know where to place roosters (and i can't, beacause i would spread the respiratory stuff), and i don't want to eat them.

She's quite fine, but i think that so long time broody without chicks can be frustrating and insane for her. she stops only to eat two times a day, and then she comes back to her "invisible eggs". i'm so sorry to can't make her a mother (i bought her exactly like a broody) but she arrived ill and spread that disease into all the flock...it seems really a joke! :he Can you advise me, please, friends? 🤩

1594113902469.png

How long did you have her on a wire floor? Could you maybe try again for a longer period?

Thank you. She's all time on a wire floor because i have, in my coop, a wire floor. At an height of about 25cm from the wood ground. I made it so, because i have the permanent litter and poop falls above, on the wood ground. Chickens stay on the wire floor :)

Can you get a wire crate..and put it where there is lots of air flow??
This pic shows it in the coop, but when it's hot I move it outside.
View attachment 2230869

it is excactly like this now, but inside. And it isn't a dog crate, she can move (but she doesn't move at all in facts). Maybe i can put a crate outside... thank you :) :) :)

The longer she's been broody, the harder it can be to break them. One gal took 10 days in the breaker before relenting.. :he

Sorry you caught the respiratory stuff, THANK YOU for being diligent NOT to spread it further! :hugs

I never like the whole wetting thing anyways. But you might be able to consider adding a frozen ice pack into the nest which would ultimately cool down the belly and subsequent core body temperature that is maintaining the broody hormones. Or swapping out chilled eggs under her??

You gotta take her, somewhere she isn't content to just sit down.. she has to be mad about her nest being disturbed so she paces and tries to get back to it instead of being comfortable. Like your bathroom.. something that makes her uncomfortable.. startled, or predatory leery MIGHT help.. I'm not into terrorizing animals.. just thinking of the things in nature that would help break a normal broody.

Also.. broody's will just sit there when first placed outside on the ground. They are sort of in a trance. You gotta give them time to realize what's happened and respond.. just in case you didn't happen to wait long enough for her response.

She's pretty gal! You'd never in a million years guess she's hiding respiratory disease by looking at that beautiful pic of her! :love:hmm

Just make sure wherever you put the crate predators can't get to her!

Oh yes, absolutely inside the run with the others 😉

The longer she's been broody, the harder it can be to break them. One gal took 10 days in the breaker before relenting.. :he

Sorry you caught the respiratory stuff, THANK YOU for being diligent NOT to spread it further! :hugs

I never like the whole wetting thing anyways. But you might be able to consider adding a frozen ice pack into the nest which would ultimately cool down the belly and subsequent core body temperature that is maintaining the broody hormones. Or swapping out chilled eggs under her??

You gotta take her, somewhere she isn't content to just sit down.. she has to be mad about her nest being disturbed so she paces and tries to get back to it instead of being comfortable. Like your bathroom.. something that makes her uncomfortable.. startled, or predatory leery MIGHT help.. I'm not into terrorizing animals.. just thinking of the things in nature that would help break a normal broody.

Also.. broody's will just sit there when first placed outside on the ground. They are sort of in a trance. You gotta give them time to realize what's happened and respond.. just in case you didn't happen to wait long enough for her response.

She's pretty gal! You'd never in a million years guess she's hiding respiratory disease by looking at that beautiful pic of her! :love:hmm

thank you a lot!
i would give males only to people that i'm sure that won't eat them :D, so refuges or something of this type. And in this refuges people is so dedicated and caring about animals that i would feel really horrible bringing something dangerous in that environments! :idunno
I'll try to put her in an "elevated" dog crate and then if it doesn't work i'll think about cool eggs... thank you a lot for your compliments to her!! i'm not seeing symptoms since this autumn so i hope all goes well :fl and yes, she's superfluffy and super judging me :pop:love

Back
Top Bottom