trying duck eggs-why so dirty. are ducks really dirty?

feather2

Songster
11 Years
Nov 28, 2008
north haven, ct
okay, so this is my second time hatching. Have three beautiful chickens hatched from a year ago and get one egg each almost every day. Actually it's strange (and probably should be on another thread) but the Easter Eggers blue egg always gets eaten. The wyandotte and maran egg never gets touched. Is it the color? must be as the others are untouched. I figure I get two eggs a day so i'm cool and they probably think they are getting away with smoking behind the barn or something. anyway, back to this hatch, I have shipped runner duck eggs in the bator (yesterday) - they were really dirty, so got direction on this site how to wash them..........now wondering are ducks really d i r t y as I have read comments on this site that they are but worth it? My chickens are really clean...they scratch wood chips up into their food and water, but no big deal. I wanted to keep these guys inside.........not possible??? I even bought diapers, leashes , pillows ( a layette I'm embarrassed to say) etc. Now I am even going to ask a question that should be in another thread.........I keep my feed and cracked corn in the garage in a really strong gray plastic container with a top that snaps shut. Today, I went out an the container had a three inch diameter hole in it - out of the side!! How did it start the hole? sure it didn't have a hatching tooth like my chicks did!!

Ok...so I have 3 mallards that are 7 weeks old. I only bring them in now at night.During the day they are in a "playpen" we made of 2 foot chicken wire. They have the biggest kiddie pool wal-mart sells and I have to change the water every day! Also, the cloth I hang up for shade has to be moved every couple of days to let the grass recoup from their poop.I love them dearly and would never give them up but they are MESSY! MUCH messier than my chickens. I will be glad when we finish the duck house,that's for sure!! I also no longer give them food and water overnight in their brooder box. That still has to be cleaned everyday as well and fresh hay added. So YES,they are messy and YES they are worth it!
big_smile.png

( I couldn't find the LOL pounding my fist on the ground thingey ......Sooooo what is your duck house going to be like? i was going to b put them in an Egloo, but after seeing what that thing did in my garage.....I'm wondering if it could eat my eggloo too

well...it's going to be unique,That's for sure! I want to keep the mess down as much as possible so we are going to build the feeding side with hardware wire underneath and put a drop door in between that and the sleeping quarters so we can close it off at night.I'm also going to have the top on hinges so I can easily access for cleaning.In addition to that we are going to make a "half" door so if I want to just sweep the mess out I can.I'm not sure of the exact dimensions yet but roughly 30 square feet.They have access to almost an acre during the day and we are also planning on digging out a small pond.For right now they have a kiddie pool and it works good too. It'll be a little while though as we just finished our coop and thats 12x7....gotta take a short breather!! Oh and yes,sounds like a rat
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom