Trying fermented feed

Have you ever seen worms in your flock? Have you wormed them in the past and seen an immediate improvement in their laying or overall appearance? Or have you seen an expulsion of worms after worming them? There are varying opinions about worming. Some folks NEVER worm their birds, and will cull a bird that has an obvious worm load. Some folks only worm their birds if they actually see worms in the feces. Some folks keep their birds on a routine worming schedule. Other folks feed natural de-wormers to their flocks. For grins and giggles, do a thread search on Shaklee Basic H. Everybody has a different management style and comfort level regarding parasites. IMO, if it ain't broke, I'm not going to try to fix it. I raise my own eggs and meat so I don't have chemical garbage in it. Also, I'm not interested in a 2 week withdrawal period where I have to throw my eggs out after worming my gals.

Have you ever seen worms in your flock? Have you wormed them in the past and seen an immediate improvement in their laying or overall appearance? Or have you seen an expulsion of worms after worming them? There are varying opinions about worming. Some folks NEVER worm their birds, and will cull a bird that has an obvious worm load. Some folks only worm their birds if they actually see worms in the feces. Some folks keep their birds on a routine worming schedule. Other folks feed natural de-wormers to their flocks. For grins and giggles, do a thread search on Shaklee Basic H. Everybody has a different management style and comfort level regarding parasites. IMO, if it ain't broke, I'm not going to try to fix it. I raise my own eggs and meat so I don't have chemical garbage in it. Also, I'm not interested in a 2 week withdrawal period where I have to throw my eggs out after worming my gals.

No worms. I was just checking what people do. You make a good point. It's funny that there's so much information about chickens and so little common facts about them. I like to here what people do and why, then see if that's what fits for me.

I tried to introduce them to the FF today. All three looked at it and shook their heads. One tried a couple pieces. I wasn't able to try yesterday since it smelled more like liquor, LOL. I put vinegar in it and turned out good today. We'll see what they do tomorrow.
caf.gif

When I first started giving it, I'd sprinkle some dry feed on top just before setting it down for them. They'd try to pick off the dry crumbs and eventually just end up eating it all ;)

When I first started giving it, I'd sprinkle some dry feed on top just before setting it down for them. They'd try to pick off the dry crumbs and eventually just end up eating it all
wink.png
Good idea. I did however just go out there again to see if they ate any. They hadn't, they did after talking to them. It was like most people said they seemed like they couldn't get enough. It's great!

How much fermented feed should one soak for 5-6 chickens a day? Also, what is the best feed to use as a base? Is it ok if there are millet and BOSS in it? How long is the initial soak?

Okay I have a Question I have been reading other post on FF and wondering alot of people say what they are fermenting and my question is if by fermenting it makes more protein do you have to add layer feed to the FF or just grains? Hopefully this makes Since
hu.gif

I just ferment what ever bag of feed I am giving to my flock. Currently, I am buying layer b/c it is less expensive than starter, grower or multi-flock. When they have less forage/insects available, I'll switch to a higher protein feed. My 16 gals and their guy get 2 qts dry feed fermented every day. I rotate 2 containers, and keep them in my laundry sink. Every morning, I stumble out of bed, go down stairs, grab a container, go out and let the girls out. I either dump the contents of the container into their dish, or sometimes directly on the ground. Then, back to the grain bag, scoop 2 quarts of feed into the container, set it in the laundry sink, fill with tepid water, perhaps rob some of the white culture from the other bucket, give them both a stir, and put the spoon in the oldest container so I'll remember to feed that one out the next day. It couldn't possibly be any easier than that. Sometimes, I'll add some scratch to the ferment, especially if it is a higher protein feed. As the weather gets colder, I may need to adjust their rations. Some folks advocate feeding at the end of the day to encourage more active foraging. In theory, a great idea. But, i feed in the morning b/c it works for me.

I have been fermenting my crumble with some scratch added to it. They haven't been too interested in it yet. They seem to let it dry up a little before eating. That makes me believe I too should dry mine. I haven't because I've heard that the moisture was good for them.

Back
Top Bottom