Trying for the first time!

NewChcikenmommy!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Kingsland,Georgia
So I just got a gallon of organic raw milk. Letting it sit overnight in the fridge to separate properly then making my first batch of raw butter tomorrow.
Any tips? recipes or ways to add flavor to it?
I'm excited! I have never tried raw milk but after reading all the benefits I don't think I'll go back to store bought.
Thanks!!!

Mmm, we get raw milk from a local goat farm sometimes. It makes a really rich ice cream or frozen custard. Love the taste too, it seems deeper in flavor.

I'd like to try goats milk! I remember trying it once as a kid but I have 2 half gallons of raw cow milk. she doesn't have goats..because I'd like to try and make my own soap!

NewChcikenmommy! :

Quote:
That must be what I have then. there is about an inch or so of floating cream like stuff in each jar..lol

but yours is raw, they have actually a way to process it and still have the milk to that thingy. I will go back there on the 15th when they got their fall festival for some milk and a tour. They also got rootbeer flavored milk(blech!!!! i hate root beer)​

NewChcikenmommy! :

Quote:
That must be what I have then. there is about an inch or so of floating cream like stuff in each jar..lol

Only an inch?
ep.gif

No, really, that's a nice cream line. Our cow will sometimes be very generous and give us 4 inches though.
tongue.png

Anyway, no help on the butter making. We've never been able to get ours to taste right. But good luck!​

You have a churn or what? My best results come from a quart mason jar. The glass is hard enough to break the molecular bonds of the milk much easier than say a wooden stick and a ceramic vase... A churn will work, but it'll take a lot more work.

Back
Top Bottom