Trying for the first time!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by NewChcikenmommy!, Oct 3, 2011.

1. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    So I just got a gallon of organic raw milk. Letting it sit overnight in the fridge to separate properly then making my first batch of raw butter tomorrow.
    Any tips? recipes or ways to add flavor to it?
    I'm excited! I have never tried raw milk but after reading all the benefits I don't think I'll go back to store bought.
    Thanks!!!

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Mmm, we get raw milk from a local goat farm sometimes. It makes a really rich ice cream or frozen custard. Love the taste too, it seems deeper in flavor.

3. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    I'd like to try goats milk! I remember trying it once as a kid but I have 2 half gallons of raw cow milk. she doesn't have goats..because I'd like to try and make my own soap!

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Our local farm is the only farm that sells cream line milk. Its milk where the cream/butter thing still rises to the top.

5. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    Quote:That must be what I have then. there is about an inch or so of floating cream like stuff in each jar..lol

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    NewChcikenmommy! :

Quote:That must be what I have then. there is about an inch or so of floating cream like stuff in each jar..lol

but yours is raw, they have actually a way to process it and still have the milk to that thingy. I will go back there on the 15th when they got their fall festival for some milk and a tour. They also got rootbeer flavored milk(blech!!!! i hate root beer)​

7. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    eww gross! LOL

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    NewChcikenmommy! :

Only an inch? [​IMG]

No, really, that's a nice cream line. Our cow will sometimes be very generous and give us 4 inches though. [​IMG]

Anyway, no help on the butter making. We've never been able to get ours to taste right. But good luck!​

9. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    You have a churn or what? My best results come from a quart mason jar. The glass is hard enough to break the molecular bonds of the milk much easier than say a wooden stick and a ceramic vase... A churn will work, but it'll take a lot more work.

10. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    Quote:I have a food processor youtube says it works well to set it on high for about 5mins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by