1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Trying the penny method...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobbi-j, Jul 18, 2011.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Has anyone heard of putting a penny (or pennies) in your waterer or stock tank to prevent algae growth? My mom read about it somewhere, tried it, and says it works. So, after scrubbing the algae out of my plastic 7-gal. waterer today, I put a few pennies in it to see if it works. With the heat and humidity, the algae sure does develop quickly.

2. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    Haven't heard of using a penny,but the best thing I've used is apple cider vinegar(ACV).If you can get some with the 'mother' in it(usually organic-it has the stuff that sits on the bottom until shaken up).Water stays clear,until fill up.This should be used only with non metalic waterers.

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Gonna try this penny thing, sounds like a quick fix.
    I may also get the vinegar.
    Is it the kind you buy at the health food store that
    is good for high blood pressure?

4. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    But, my chickens don't have high-blood pressure. [​IMG] lol

5. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Just a thought...back in the day pennies had more copper in them, now they are some nickel based alloy. I'm thinking today's pennies might now work in the same way older pennies did.

We use ACV as well.

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have been doing the penny thing for seven weeks and it works! I'm not going to say the water is fresh from the spring on day three, but it definitely has worked for me.

ETA: I read one should use pennies from 1965-1985, or thereabouts, as they have the highest copper content. I haven't changed my pennies in seven weeks, although they're looking a little worse for their service...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  7. IowaHeritage

IowaHeritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Western Iowa
    Yep, use them in a bird bath where it takes bout 20 pennies to work,, also in stock tankns where it takes many many more, but it sure does work.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    My husband will use a copper pipe in the stock tank. I had not thought of pennies. will start digging.

9. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Mrs. K :

My husband will use a copper pipe in the stock tank. I had not thought of pennies. will start digging.

The vinegar (we use white distilled) also helps with fly control. The animals that drink it put off an smell and taste that flies don't like. I can always tell when we haven't been putting the vinegar in the water because we have more flies.

My husband puts pennies, in water in a ziplock bag and hangs them in the barn. Supposedly, it controls flies but I hate to tell him, it doesn't! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by