Trying to decide if my lethargic hen needs to be culled :(

That's very brave of you. Many people are unable to accept that.
Thank you. I gave her the dose of Corid, but she would not eat hardly anything and fell asleep while I was trying. I am going to see how she is in the morning and then put her out of her misery if she is not showing any improvement. Thank you for all of your help!

Have you and the vet ruled out crop disorders?
I am certain she had sour crop previously (a few months ago) because she had the nasty breath and the liquid coming up when she would dip her head, but she hasn't shown any signs since then. I treated that at the time with ACV in the water and yogurt because there was no vet around here that would see chickens so I couldn't get nystatin.

The vet on Thursday didn't mention anything being off about her crop.

I am certain she had sour crop previously (a few months ago) because she had the nasty breath and the liquid coming up when she would dip her head, but she hasn't shown any signs since then. I treated that at the time with ACV in the water and yogurt because there was no vet around here that would see chickens so I couldn't get nystatin.

The vet on Thursday didn't mention anything being off about her crop.
You can use miconazole for sour crop

Sorry about your hen. My thoughts are that she probably has a reproductive disorder such as salpingitis or egg yolk peritonitis. Has she laid eggs recently? Antibiotics may or may not help. Crop disorders are sometimes secondary to another major illness. Green droppings are from not eating. She looks very lethargic in the photo. I would give her fluids and food, and try to make her confortable. If she ever seems to be suffering, I would consider putting her down..

Thank you everyone for all your help. She pooped twice overnight, and there was no more blood, so I'm thinking maybe that was from the NSAID. She has been sleeping all day, and only opens her eyes if I move her. Her respirations are slow. If she does not pass soon my husband is going to put her down when he gets home. So sad to lose my girl :'(
1018200856.jpg

Sorry that she is close to death, and glad that you are giving her comfort. If you would like to know the cause of her illness, you can get a necropsy by your state vet or do one at home yourself. I don’t like to do them, but I have learned a lot about what goes wrong from doing them. Many take pictures of abdominal organs to ask for opinions here. I completely understand if you prefer to bury her though.

Sorry that she is close to death, and glad that you are giving her comfort. If you would like to know the cause of her illness, you can get a necropsy by your state vet or do one at home yourself. I don’t like to do them, but I have learned a lot about what goes wrong from doing them. Many take pictures of abdominal organs to ask for opinions here. I completely understand if you prefer to bury her though.
Thank you. My husband ended up using the .22 to put her down, so I couldn't fathom taking her in for a necropsy (I know this sounds silly but I couldn't stand the thought of seeing her after she'd been shot, and I would have had to be the one to drive her there since my husband will be at work when the ag office is open). I may have done that though if she had passed on her own, because I really was curious as to what happened since the vet couldn't find any obvious signs of a problem, and she was only 2.5.

Thank you. My husband ended up using the .22 to put her down, so I couldn't fathom taking her in for a necropsy (I know this sounds silly but I couldn't stand the thought of seeing her after she'd been shot, and I would have had to be the one to drive her there since my husband will be at work when the ag office is open). I may have done that though if she had passed on her own, because I really was curious as to what happened since the vet couldn't find any obvious signs of a problem, and she was only 2.5.

I just joined this forum after reading things on this website for years. One of my original hens, 6 years old, passed away a couple hours ago. I just walked her up into the woods and laid her to rest where she can become one with the earth again. I’m sorry you lost your hen. Mine went about 3 days of lethargy and similar symptoms. This is often what happens. I usually check the crop, try to treat with medication or worming agents, syringe feed water, give food in warm mash, etc etc etc. Sometimes they just pass because it’s time. I always feel like I could have done more and it’s always sad. It sounds like you did everything possible to save your hen and in the end made her as comfortable as you possibly could. She is lucky to have such a caring and loving owner. Sending peace your way :)

Back
Top Bottom