Trying to decide what to do with a 2yo Roo.

jpalmatier83

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 15, 2016
NW MI
A bit of background: he was added to an existing back yard flock which currently has one 8yo hen, two 5yo hens, him and his “sister”.

He tends to focus on his “sister” and one of the slightly older girls. To the point that one is missing saddle feathers and the other is a little scraggy. I think maybe a couple older ones are rejecting him.

I’m adding four new birds.

He has NEVER been human aggressive. But my understanding is that feather loss in the hens is a bit of a no no.

So, is it because he started with older girls who may be rejecting him and if he has four new flock mates that may calm him down? Or, since I have a new group, should I try with a new roo? Was he at a disadvantage because he started with most of the girls being older (and never had a roo)?

I like him. He tidbits. He seems protective. He’s good with me. But I add chickens so infrequently that this seems like it may be an opportunity to switch him out.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

And because I like a lot of what you say @aart?

If he isn't causing the hens to bleed/get irritated on their backs, it bothers you more than it does them
Ditto Dat.

How long have you had him?
Feather loss from mating can be bad technique on the males part and/or brittle feathers on the females part.
Why do you want a male in the flock?
Why are you adding 4 more birds and how old are they?
If you are hoping the addition will reduce any damage from mating, you may well be disappointed.

Ditto Dat.

How long have you had him?
Feather loss from mating can be bad technique on the males part and/or brittle feathers on the females part.
Why do you want a male in the flock?
Why are you adding 4 more birds and how old are they?
If you are hoping the addition will reduce any damage from mating, you may well be disappointed.
Not show birds for sure. These are pets and for eggs for family use. I like a certain level of egg production for the family. As the older girls start to slow down I’m adding more to bring it back up.

I don’t think it’s brittle feathers, just over mating. One roo on two receptive hens just seems like a bit much, but I may be wrong. And I think it may just be that a young roo with older girls may be his problem.

No real need for a roo, but I’m a weirdo that feels like a “natural” flock should have a roo. He’s also good with corralling them, keeping an eye out, tidbitting, etc.

Adding the four to bring the egg production back up. From 15 a week to, hopefully, 35-40 ish.

Have had him since day one. And the addition isn’t to reduce damage. It’s to up egg yield. Just wondering if I can “kill two birds with one stone”.

My nstinct is to keep him, but if the feather loss is really as much of a deal breaker as I’ve heard, this seems like it may be the time.

Negative. They’re tsc “pullets”. I’m hoping for the best but I know things happen.

I may decide to hatch some at some point. I know I don’t NEED him. Though, I do llike having a roo. And I’d like to have the best roo I could.

I’m fence sitting. I know the boy I have is good. I’m just contemplating rolling the dice and seeing if I’d end up with a better one.

Ultimately , I’m looking for confirmation for keeping him. But I’m also very open to someone making a compelling argument I’m wrong.

Usually I just figure these things out, but this time I’m very much on the fence.

round their tips nicely with a lime.
A lime?

Ultimately , I’m looking for confirmation for keeping him. But I’m also very open to someone making a compelling argument I’m wrong.
Only you can decide.
If the hens are not being unduly harassed(to where they are hiding and/or not getting enough to eat or drink) or being wounded due to the lack of feathers, keep him.

When and how will you integrate the new chicks?
How he reacts to them may be telling as to his demeanor.

Back
Top Bottom