Trying to determine how many roos...and breed, too!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by reallynewatthis, Jul 17, 2011.

1. reallynewatthis

reallynewatthis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Kenmore
    So, our new chicks turn out to have at least one roo (we've been hearing him crow...so cute!), and I suspect our youngest chick may also be a roo. Since we have limited space and a total of ten chickens, we need to figure out how many roos we have!! First is a four month old, supposedly australorp. Second is also four months old, black star (this is the one my husband swears is crowing.) Third pic is 3 month old, supposed partridge rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help!

Katy

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Well, I see 3 pics and 4 roos [​IMG]

But, I am having problems figuring out the sexes of mine so, maybe I'm wrong [​IMG]

3. reallynewatthis

Apr 30, 2010
    Kenmore
    Just in case you are curious, the second bird in the second picture is a golden campine, and a confirmed hen. She has been laying eggs for quite some time now!! javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

Katy

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Whew....I was thinking they were all the same age [​IMG] Glad to hear about the egg laying [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First is a roo, I think mixed breed. Second is a roo, could be your australorp. A black sex link roo would be black and white barred. The third looks like a roo, can't tell much else from the pic. Sorry.

6. chickiemamma

chickiemamma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    3rd pic looks like a partridge rock roo. Shiny green feathers and coloring looks like mine.

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    They all look like roos. But yeah, the second one I say is the Australorp. The first looks like a mix. Don't know as to the third. [​IMG]

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, all 3 appear to be roos. 1st one is definitely not an Australorp, probably a mix. 2nd one is probably your Australorp. And the 3rd is a partridge Rock. Their adult color is quite different from a hen's color so you can actually sex them by the color once they start feathering out.

9. reallynewatthis

Apr 30, 2010
    Kenmore
    Gosh darn it!! We are allowed to keep roosters, but we certainly won't be able to keep more than one. We just don't have the space. The top pic is the chick that came out of the australorp bin at the feed store...oh, well. He is gorgeous, regardless!!

Do australorps have black legs? I thought the middle pic was our black star, and she (or he??) has black legs.

I've been suspicious about the chick in the third pic for quite some time...his comb is huge, and his legs are much thicker than our other hens and pullets. Considering he is the youngest of the new ones by 4 weeks, I was pretty sure she was actually going to be a he.

Of course, my son wants to keep the roosters so we can have fluffy little chicks. Actually, he wants us to buy a summer home on a giant lot with a barn so we can keep the roosters AND any resulting chicks. Hee, hee!

Katy

10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Yes, Australorps have black/dark gray legs. Here's my BA hen...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by