Trying to determine how many roos...and breed, too!

reallynewatthis

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Kenmore
So, our new chicks turn out to have at least one roo (we've been hearing him crow...so cute!), and I suspect our youngest chick may also be a roo. Since we have limited space and a total of ten chickens, we need to figure out how many roos we have!! First is a four month old, supposedly australorp. Second is also four months old, black star (this is the one my husband swears is crowing.) Third pic is 3 month old, supposed partridge rock.

Thanks for the help!

Katy

Well, I see 3 pics and 4 roos
hide.gif

But, I am having problems figuring out the sexes of mine so, maybe I'm wrong
smile.png

Just in case you are curious, the second bird in the second picture is a golden campine, and a confirmed hen. She has been laying eggs for quite some time now!! javascript:insert_text('
wink.png
',%20'');

Katy

First is a roo, I think mixed breed. Second is a roo, could be your australorp. A black sex link roo would be black and white barred. The third looks like a roo, can't tell much else from the pic. Sorry.

Yep, all 3 appear to be roos. 1st one is definitely not an Australorp, probably a mix. 2nd one is probably your Australorp. And the 3rd is a partridge Rock. Their adult color is quite different from a hen's color so you can actually sex them by the color once they start feathering out.

Gosh darn it!! We are allowed to keep roosters, but we certainly won't be able to keep more than one. We just don't have the space. The top pic is the chick that came out of the australorp bin at the feed store...oh, well. He is gorgeous, regardless!!

Do australorps have black legs? I thought the middle pic was our black star, and she (or he??) has black legs.

I've been suspicious about the chick in the third pic for quite some time...his comb is huge, and his legs are much thicker than our other hens and pullets. Considering he is the youngest of the new ones by 4 weeks, I was pretty sure she was actually going to be a he.

Of course, my son wants to keep the roosters so we can have fluffy little chicks. Actually, he wants us to buy a summer home on a giant lot with a barn so we can keep the roosters AND any resulting chicks. Hee, hee!

Katy

Back
Top Bottom