trying to do the right thing

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ian Daft, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Ian Daft

Ian Daft Hatching

Jul 18, 2017
    Capalaba
    Hi.
    I am feeding my hens with cut up veg`s 2 a day, but i am worried about giving them green apples,
    Is it ok to feed them with this

KikisGirls likes this.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Reading. Must read more. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Do you feed them a complete poultry feed? You may want to limit treats to much less than 2xs a day. Apples are fine.

3. Ian Daft

Ian Daft Hatching

Jul 18, 2017
    Capalaba
    Thank you for your reply,
    this is what i do, as i cut up all the veg`s that i have and put it in a containers to last 6 days

Attached Files:

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

5. camocutey

camocutey In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2018
    Peyton, Colorado
    Apples are fine but not the seeds.

6. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Reading. Must read more. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    How many birds are you feeding this to twice a day?
    And how much (think cup measurements) are you feeding to them?

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Apple seeds will do no harm. They would have to eat a huge pile of apple seeds to be harmed. I share kiki's concern that they may be getting too much of a good thing (the fruit and veggie salad) to the detriment of not eating enough of their balanced feed. Are they laying? If so, what is the egg quality? What is their feather quality? Also, be sure to wash those fruits/veggies well. They have pesticides on them. Do they have access to your lawn? In that case, I'd save those veggies for my own salad, and let the chooks graze on an untreated lawn and it's many insects.

KikisGirls likes this.

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The right thing is a balanced feed and clean water. It is that easy and inexpensive. Fridge culls and kitchen scraps are always a good thing to give the birds. It's not wasted and works as a treat. Going out of way to give veggies to omnivores depletes their balanced nutritional daily value at more cost to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by