Trying to dose Tylan 50 injectable for oral with 3 ML syringe

HomeschoolPollo

In the Brooder
May 10, 2016
I am trying to figure out which line on the 3 ML syringe I have to pull up to for 1/4 ml for my 2 pound 9.4 ounce bird. She is 4 months Is it the third line closest to the needle? I am using Tylan 50 /100 ML injectable. I am going to give orally in a piece of s small piece of bread. I read the other threads and got some good advice. Just want to make certain I pull up the correct amount. TIA. I need to get this stuff in my baby tonight.

You want to go to the halfway point between the needle and 0.5, which is 0.25 or 1/4 ml or cc.

Thank you. That makes sense now. Now I am wondering if I should be giving her 1/2 cc because I am using the Tylan 50 and not the Tylan 200. Day 2 and no improvement for the gasping for air. She isn't sleeping either.

You can give her 1/2 ml (25 mg) twice a day for 5 days. Tylan 50 is 50mg per ml of medicine, while Tylan 200 is 200 mg per ml of medicine, or 4 times as strong. Tylan50 is a little more for use in chickens, while the 200 is better suited for larger birds such as turkeys or cattle. In Plumbs Veterinary Manual it says that Tylan can be given at 10-40 mg per Kg (or every 2.2 pounds) 2-3 times a day, so it has a fairly safe margin. My own range of dosage is 1/4 ml for chicks and bantams up to a pound and a half, 1/2 ml for chickens under 5 pounds, and 1 ml for over 5 pounds.

You can give her 1/2 ml (25 mg) twice a day for 5 days. Tylan 50 is 50mg per ml of medicine, while Tylan 200 is 200 mg per ml of medicine, or 4 times as strong. Tylan50 is a little more for use in chickens, while the 200 is better suited for larger birds such as turkeys or cattle. In Plumbs Veterinary Manual it says that Tylan can be given at 10-40 mg per Kg (or every 2.2 pounds) 2-3 times a day, so it has a fairly safe margin. My own range of dosage is 1/4 ml for chicks and bantams up to a pound and a half, 1/2 ml for chickens under 5 pounds, and 1 ml for over 5 pounds.

Thank you. Going to go give her a second dose now.

Thank you.day 4 with no improvement. I wonder if I should start injecting her. We looked down her throat and it looks inflamed. Can I mix regular prednisone for humans into a liquid to give to my chicken. I have 20my tabs and read somewhere that 5mg tabs can be mixed with water. But not sure how to mix. Could you look in your book for me please. My baby is still gasping and labored breathing. Last time took her to vet the steroids helped. But taking to vet again not an option.

What symptoms are you seeing? Prednisone, prednisolone, and other steroids should be used cautiously, since they can reduce the body's anility to fight infections, cause GI irritation and ulcers, and need to be dosed correctly and be weaned down slowly to stop. Can you call your vet for the dosage previously used? If her problem is a virus, the antibiotics won't help much, which could be why you are seeing little improvement. You may want to research aspergillosis in chickens, which is a fungal disease from mold spores. It is common in young chickens from wet bedding, or from using sawdust or hardwood shavings. It affects breathing causing gasping, increased thirst, and can spread throughout the body. There is no cure for it.

Last edited:
I have seen one reference in an avian book that says to give prednisone 6 mg per each 2.2 pounds of weight twice a day. This would need to be decreased to once a day after a few days, then the dose cut in half for a couple of days, then so on until it is stopped. To me, if you have 20 mg tablets, I would mix it in 10 ml of water, which would give you 2 mg per ml. Then 3 ml would equal 6 mg. Other references online suggest a 2 mg dosage twice a day, tapering to once a day, which sounds a bit more safe. Your vet should be able to read the dosage they used to you over the phone.

I have seen one reference in an avian book that says to give prednisone 6 mg per each 2.2 pounds of weight twice a day. This would need to be decreased to once a day after a few days, then the dose cut in half for a couple of days, then so on until it is stopped. To me, if you have 20 mg tablets, I would mix it in 10 ml of water, which would give you 2 mg per ml. Then 3 ml would equal 6 mg. Other references online suggest a 2 mg dosage twice a day, tapering to once a day, which sounds a bit more safe. Your vet should be able to read the dosage they used to you over the phone.

Thank you, Eggcessive. I will keep this valuable information for future reference. I ended up reading another thread last night that talked about giving aspirin for inflammation. I gave her 1/2 of a 81 mg coated orange chewable aspirin last night and again this morning. She is much improved. Last night I mixed with her yoke with the antibiotics. This am she took the aspirin by itself after I had crushed it.

My guess as to what happened to cause the gasping and her irritated throat is that this was her first time outside and she was eating all the good stuff like slugs, worms, spiders, weeds, etc. But was eating a lot of dirt and sand is my guess too (she found some sand fleas near our pond) and her system and throat was irritated. She is back to her perky self and getting into things praise God.

It's good that she is better today. Do you have grit available for her to eat when she eats things other than plain chicken feed, such as grass, whole grains, or bugs? That will keep her crop and gizzard in good shape. I buy a 50 pound bag which last me a year or two for $10, and the smaller bags are available for around $6. Sand is not adequate for chickens as grit, but you may have enough tiny rocks in your dirt to be enough.

Back
Top Bottom