trying to fatten them up

chickenbottom

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
hollister, florida
well my babies for the past week now get a good amount of feed and they free range from the time they wake up to the time they go to sleep is there something i can give them to gain some weight? they are healthy weights but i want them to have a bit more meat on them cause its getting colder. thank you in advance.

p.s they are pets not food lol

like what kind of seeds? i was also thinking maybe a month or so of broiler feed? i dont want them to get heavy heavy just so they dont have hard times in the cold

Yogurt. They will love it. Also some boiled eggs too. You will notice as long as you bring them something, they will eat it even if they already have food in the feeder. Just make sure thier main diet consist of the starter feed.

I have been making them din din everynight to get some winter fat on them. I mix some eggs with corn,scramble that up cool it down a bit then sprinkle with wheat germ and yogurt. needless to say they RUN to me when they see me coming with the big red bowl... so spoiled these girls are. I like to give them something warm at night.Its getting down to the 30's here already..

Wheres Hollister at? I am in between Ft. Myers and Lehigh Acres....

I am trying to fatten my chickens up too. I introduced yogurt a few days back, and they LOVE it!
Seeds - interesting. I would like to know about seeds as well. Sunflower seeds? Shell or no shell?
What does the wheatgerm do? I definitely want to fatten up my girls...(they are NOT for meat)
smile.png

My flock gets feed as a base nutritional source and they free range in my yard all day (except in inclement weather). They love to eat the squash plants in my mini garden, which is okay by me, I believe that takes care of their greens, I'm not sure. I also give them cut up watermelon some times. My daughter grew the watermelon in her garden...
I put crushed egg shells, oatmeal, shavings of carrots and green bean slices in their diet on occasion, should I do this all the time with the hens? Anyone have any advice to get the hens in shape for laying - they haven't started yet at all ....

P.S. I also put garlic cloves in their water (We LOVE garlic!)....

Last edited:
Quote:
hollister is between interlachen and palatka
mine are a year to 4 years so mine are already laying hopefully someone can answer the rest of your question lol

Back
Top Bottom