Trying to figure door out for chicken coop going out to the run

Mandied

Songster
Jul 24, 2022
Vincennes, Indiana
We are building our coop right now. I have told.my husband thousand times we should have just bought one but he wanted to build one. He has come up with good ideas for the door that goes at the nesting boxes and a clean out door. But we can't figure out the best door to have for the ch8ckens to go into run. Any suggestions would be awesome.

We are building our coop right now. I have told.my husband thousand times we should have just bought one but he wanted to build one. He has come up with good ideas for the door that goes at the nesting boxes and a clean out door. But we can't figure out the best door to have for the ch8ckens to go into run. Any suggestions would be awesome.
Pictures of your setup would help.

I had the same issue because I'm a lousy builder. I got an automatic door. Pricey, but so worth it imo. I get a lil bit more sleep on weekends.

But look through the gazillion of options @aart posted a link to. You might also google it and see what you can find on YouTube as far as video tutorials.

I had the same issue because I'm a lousy builder. I got an automatic door. Pricey, but so worth it imo. I get a lil bit more sleep on weekends.

But look through the gazillion of options @aart posted a link to. You might also google it and see what you can find on YouTube as far as video tutorials.
My husband is building it. He wanted to do a brick coop. He is so frustrated at how it has turned out so far and how long it's taking to get done.

Those prefab coops are typically not really designed for chickens, don't hold nearly as many as the advertisements say they will, and can be poorly constructed with poor materials. Before anybody buys one I think it is a good idea to post a link and let us critique it. You can occasionally get a decent one but usually they are not worth the money. You are generally better off building one or converting a building like a shed. But if can also be a good idea to let us critique what you plan to do before you start building. We may be able to help.

If we knew what you are working with it could help a lot with suggestions. Photos would be great. Is it human sized or chicken sized? Ground level or elevated? Will you be opening and closing it from inside the coop or from the run? I've built a human sized door with hinges on the side, a chicken sized door with hinges on top, a guillotine type chicken sized door that slides up, and a door that slides to the side. I haven't done it but I've seen a small door that hinged on the bottom so it forms a ramp when it folds down. All kinds of options. Knowing what you are working with could really help narrow down suggestions.

My husband is building it. He wanted to do a brick coop. He is so frustrated at how it has turned out so far and how long it's taking to get done.
I think most of us know that feeling. I'm sorry. You and he will be so relieved when it's done, and you'll have a secure coop. Buying them doesn't usually yield nearly good enough coops. You are much better off, imo. Even with all the frustration. It will be worth it!

Those prefab coops are typically not really designed for chickens, don't hold nearly as many as the advertisements say they will, and can be poorly constructed with poor materials. Before anybody buys one I think it is a good idea to post a link and let us critique it. You can occasionally get a decent one but usually they are not worth the money. You are generally better off building one or converting a building like a shed. But if can also be a good idea to let us critique what you plan to do before you start building. We may be able to help.

If we knew what you are working with it could help a lot with suggestions. Photos would be great. Is it human sized or chicken sized? Ground level or elevated? Will you be opening and closing it from inside the coop or from the run? I've built a human sized door with hinges on the side, a chicken sized door with hinges on top, a guillotine type chicken sized door that slides up, and a door that slides to the side. I haven't done it but I've seen a small door that hinged on the bottom so it forms a ramp when it folds down. All kinds of options. Knowing what you are working with could really help narrow down suggestions.
We are building one and we are using bricks.

Back
Top Bottom