Trying to figure out guinea color

here are pictures of mine.

male

had problems loading the girls pictures (pie balded) but here is one of the odd baby.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! I thought mine were just dirty. I guess they're Royal Purple! ROFL!! I'll have to take some good pics of them. Of course they're not very old and still going through some color changes but I've been so confused by their colors. Here in TN our dirt is orange and I keep telling my husband we have the dirtiest guineas beause they never clean themselves. That's their actual color! ROFL

Now I have to get some pics up here.

Laurie

Quote:
Thanks! These are our "babies". We have 4 older ones 1 male lavender and 3 female, 2 pearl gray and 1 lavender. Unfortunately, with all the eggs we got from them, none of them were fertile. (My older DS and MIL enjoyed eating the eggs though). So when we went to our farm fair this summer we got these.

Lavender is a recessive gene. You could mate 2 pearls and get lavender or most anything else. It just depends what genes they carry. Also pied can be on any color. You haven't said pied what. Pied pearl? Pied lavender? Pied genes are complicated with lots of modifiers so you never know where they'll pop up but in guineas they seem to be completely dominant so nearly all offspring of pied come out pied and they increase the more you breed. Every generation of pieds crossed together will have more white.

Froggie...I know what you mean ! My babies too. I spent a lot of time picking mine up for the 7 wks they were held "captive" in my laundry room. Still don't knock themselves out but they will approach me and gather around my feet. Especially when I have some "scratch" for them. I want more in the spring. I think whites would be nice. I don't know what my other 3 are, am waiting to see how they turn out. They will be 10 weeks tomorrow. The others are dark. But I also see some brownish feathers on their backs.
Liz
Rochester, MA

Back
Top Bottom