Trying to figure out what kind of chicks I have

Sorry to bug you figured I ask a quick question since I already have this thread going to see if you know. How old are Easter eggers before you can tell the sex? I know will the silkies I have I was told it would take awhile then my others I got are just production red hens so I know with them already.
At about six weeks you can be pretty sure with varieties that aren't solid colors. Your black one might be a bit tougher since color pattern can't be used to help sex but I would say you can for sure be confident by eight weeks! :)

So on to another question I bought two of these ladies as Production red hens when I got my Easter eggers someone mentioned they look like ISA Brown though not that it matters much as I purchased them happy to know they were hens and would lay well.

Attachments

• 20220520_194632_HDR_(1).jpg
    20220520_194632_HDR_(1).jpg
    860.9 KB · Views: 4
So on to another question I bought two of these ladies as Production red hens when I got my Easter eggers someone mentioned they look like ISA Brown though not that it matters much as I purchased them happy to know they were hens and would lay well.
It is a Red Sexlink rather than Production Red. ISA Browns are a specific mix used to make Red Sexlinks but there aren't enough physical characteristics between the mixes to guess. Basically you have no way of telling if she's an ISA Brown but she is a Red Sexlink :)

Thank you for answering. Just hoping for good layers and knowing they were hens was why we got them they are two sweet ladies so we are happy either way. It's nice to learn about my chicks though. Also I have quickly become aware Royal King has no idea what chicks they actually label as what 😂

At about six weeks you can be pretty sure with varieties that aren't solid colors. Your black one might be a bit tougher since color pattern can't be used to help sex but I would say you can for sure be confident by eight weeks! :)
Hate to bother you again and I know mine are only 5 weeks so I should just wait (my husband keeps telling me that haha) this one just seems to be growing a comb and its a little brighter then the others already so I started wondering if I have a cockerel here. I thought I would just post here and ask instead of starting a new thread. Please tell me I'm just overthinking on this one 😂

Attachments

• 20220524_132532_(1).jpg
    20220524_132532_(1).jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220524_131127.jpg
    20220524_131127.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom