1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trying to fly at two weeks old???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LLCoyote, Mar 16, 2015.

1. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I have a female buff orpington in my little flock that I'm pretty sure isn't scared of anything. Even though I only bought them four days ago and I've been trying to move slowly (allow them to approach at their own pace) Betty (the BO) isn't even the slightest bit scared of me. Now she's trying to fly. My brooder is about four feet tall, four feet wide, and five and a half feet long and she's trying to fly. Hitting the walls, running around like a crazy bird, and attempting to fly out of the brooder every time the door is open. I don't want her to hurt herself but I'm not sure how to discourage this behavior. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? And is there anything I can do to make sure she isn't going to hurt herself?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Chicks bounce pretty good. She should be ok. I must say though, my most above and beyond normal, outgoing, friendly, explorative chicks usually turn out to be cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by