Trying to gain knowledge before we pick up chicks!!! Help!!!

tancurls

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Huntington Beach
We are parents to a one and a half year old little boy. After much consideration we have decided on two chicks.
jumpy.gif
We are looking for first off very friendly breed. We also are looking for egg layers. Any tips on what breeds fit this description? Any we should not get? We have a garden that is 40 square feet and we are looking to build a coop in the garden. Any recommendations as far a hutch verses coop? I think I want to do river sand bottom sounds so much cleaner. Any info or tips would be helpful!!!
Thank you
Almost a chick momma

I'm no expert; I'm just on my first flock that's 5 weeks old, but I did a lot of research and talked to several friends who have chickens. I have small kids, too, and didn't want aggressive or flighty birds. I ended up with black australorps- very good producers and calm. They let my kids pick them up and hold them like babies.
smile.png
Buff orpingtons are also supposed to be very docile (and I think they're just beautiful, too). My understanding is that they lay pretty well, but not as good as a high producer like an australorp or sex link. You can go to the top of the page and click on the "breeds" tab and it will give you a good rundown of breeds and their "specs". And I'm sure that there are others here who are much more experienced and will have some other suggestions.

I'm still working on the coop myself, but I think I want sand in my run as well. It just seems a lot cleaner and easier to deal with.

Have fun with your chicks!
big_smile.png

I was going to suggest buff orpingtons as well - out of the 6 I have - they are all sweet births but my buff is the calmest & my little ones really love her. I also love how pretty they are when grown - but you know the black sex-link that we have (which is a good layer as well) is also very sweet & good with the kids.

Last edited:
My Buff Orpingtons, Delawares, Wyandottes, and Australorps have been extremely friendly for me, and are good brown egg layers.

Honestly, I'd let your son admire them from afar for at least a couple years. Even the friendliest of chickens will peck at eyeballs if given the chance. It's only out of curiosity, not meanness, but those kinds of things (eyeballs) are not easily replaceable, and the young kids don't have the reactions yet, to protect themselves from that.

That's not to say you shouldn't get any chicknes,, I'm just saying that they need to by YOUR pet, not the kids's.

I second or third the australorps. I also spent about 3 months researching breeds, trying to find a friendly chicken that lays well. I got my australorp chicks on Mon. and they are as sweet as can be! They are very curious and came right up to sit in my hand the second day they were there. I have even read that some people call them lap chickens!

I am no expert at all but being a future chicken owner with two kids I did a tremendous amount of research. Based on what I read, phonecalls to hatcheries and the experts here it seems like Buff Orpingtons are a huge favorite among family backyard flocks. I have also heard this about the Australorps. The timing wasn't right for me to get any Australorps this time around but I definitely would have gotten one for my flock. I ended up getting an Easter Egger and a Light Brahma since they also have good reps for being sweet chickens.

Good luck to you!

My grandson was 1 1/2 when I got my first chickens and I would have to suggest Buff Orps. They are the sweetest girls ever! Cayden has trained them to sit down and wait for snacks. Its the greatest thing ever. I get an egg every day from them and my grandson gets to play with chickens 4 or 5 days a week while I babysit.
71041_img_1414.jpg

Last edited:
I would suggest getting at least three. That way if one turns out to be a roo or doesn't make it, you won't have one lonely chicken. My Barred Rock is a family favorite, she is supper friendly and lets my son pet her and pick her up. My Easter Egger is also very sweet and docile - and she lays beautiful eggs - daily!

Given your set up I would go for sex links of some sort.

I doubt you want to end up with a roo, so going with a sex link laying hybrid will cut that risk to almost zero. Breeding of egg producers has made for very reliable layers that you can expect and egg from almost every day for the first 1-2 years. Also they gennerally start laying by about 5 months which earlier than some breeds.

Some of the other breeds can range from so-so to excelent egg layers but there is not as much certaintly as to what you will get for egg production as with a sex link egg hybrid. Sex links I have happen to be the most people oriented of our flock.

What do you grow in that 40 ft2 garden? The chickens are going to rip it up. Given that it is a pretty small space and you are only aiming for two birds I would go for a raised hutch to minnimise taking up ground space.

Depending on where you live, I live in Northern Michigan, I chose Black Australorps - they lay large brown eggs, they are friendly and can take the cold better than some other breeds. I'm a newbie to the chicken world (chicks are 3 weeks old) but I am enjoying every minute - they are alot of fun! Who'd a thunk I'd be attached to a bunch of silly ole chickens LOL
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom