Trying to get up the nerve. . . .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joletabey, May 7, 2009.

1. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I finally have a coop- have the run planned- but am STILL dithering about getting chicks when the time comes, or asking around about older juveniles. Having read everything I can find, I still don't quite understand how many days I have to check them hourly if I get baby chicks. I work, HAVE to work, and if I get chicks, would at the most get 4 days straight to babysit. Is that enough? Then I would be at work 8 hours a day- too far away to check on them at lunch. Or should I stick with the juvenile idea? Opinions, ideas gratefully accepted.
    Beth

2. cstacatto

cstacatto Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Lakewood
    The first few days with my chicks i check on them like every 3 to 4 hours...depending on how much other work around the farm i am doing. Then after like a week i only see them like 4 times a day to change water etc. I raise my birds for different reasons though, no attachment to them. [​IMG]

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    They will be fine.
    But, you could just start your first year with Juveniles and then take on the work of chicks the next year. That's what most of my customers do; buy the hand raised juveniles from me for the first year of raising.

4. SilkieBaby

SilkieBaby Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Bakersville, NC
    The first chicks that I got were about 10 days old. Because of my work I was only to check on them before I went to work of the morning and then when I got home of the evening. I changed there water every morning and then several times throughout the evening till bed. I really gave them a lot of attention when I got home I guess mainly because I felt so guilty for being away all day. My chicks have done really well. If you are going to get newborns I would suggest trying to get them on a Friday or a day where you are going to have a few days off to spend with them. I contribute mine doing so well with them being over a week old. They were still "needy" but not as bad as a day-old would be. Good luck with your decision! And [​IMG] !!!! I'm also in Western NC!!

Amy

5. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I got mine from a lady on Craigs List. She said they were 3 weeks old, and sexed (turned out one was a rooster, but that was Ok) I paid $2.75 ea. for Buff Orpingtons.

I put them in a tuperware storage container in my garage with a heat lamp and checked them in the morning when I left for work, and then when I got home.

I did not lose any.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. rogerf

rogerf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    I started with Juvies 8 years ago and it was a good way to break into the hobby. I've since raised the rest from newborn.
    It is much easier when they are older. Chicks require a bit more attention and for me mixing them into the existing flock has always been trying.
    It's a great hobby though and the kids love to collect the eggs and when we get overrun with eggs there are plenty of friends and relatives willing to take 'em off our hands or pay us for them.
    Good Luck

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  7. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    I had never raised chicks before and just put my 16 (almost) 5 week olds out in the coop. Chicks are pretty much a no brainer. Heat lamp, fresh water and food. My brooder was two large cardboard boxes taped together in the basement.

My wife checked on them during the day (but never actually did anything hands on) and I did maintenance before work and after work.

Seriously, don't overthink this it's really pretty easy. If I can do it then anyone can! Plus, there is a ton of information on this site and at the very least you get just about every scenario and a variety of solutions.

Fate favors the bold.

8. jennmugg

jennmugg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    I think my chicks were a week old at the most when I got them. I also work all day and can only feed and water them in the morning and after I get home at night. They were in the brooder with a heat lamp all days for the first few weeks. They all turned out just fine, even with my 7 month old daughter constantly grabbing at them and my two dogs bugging them.

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    As long as they have food, water, and a warm light, there is NO reason to check on them that much! Twice a day to fill food and water is PLENTY. They're not needy like human babies...they can take care of themselves. Good luck!

10. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:I agree. I put them in the brooder with heat, food and water. Make sure they can get away from the heat also. There is no one here during the day. You will love having chicks. Hand raising them, you will love.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by