Trying to Hatch Eggs from Deceased Hen...

Thank so much! She has been broody for 2 weeks and a half, still going strong. Should I block off her nesting box and leave a small feeder and waterer inside for her? I can't block off any other nesting boxes because the other chickens use them. She will also move to nesting boxes without eggs as well. Thanks! 😊 💚
I would try and block it if to see if it helps, if it does I would just leave her to it just make sure she does NOT poop in the nesting box and can leave the nest to go and stretch her legs, if it doesn’t help and the eggs are still fine and viable I would just put them under her as she moves, it’s not ideal but it may be a solution.
has she had chicks before? If yes how was she with those chicks?😊

I would try and block it if to see if it helps, if it does I would just leave her to it just make sure she does NOT poop in the nesting box and can leave the nest to go and stretch her legs, if it doesn’t help and the eggs are still fine and viable I would just put them under her as she moves, it’s not ideal but it may be a solution.
has she had chicks before? If yes how was she with those chicks?😊
No, she hasn't. She tried hatching some earlier in Feb. but it was really stressful with the cold weather and other chickens kicking off her off the nest. I think there was some development but the embryos died and the egg reabsorbed it... all the eggs exploded instead of hatching.

When she leaves the nest she leaves the eggs for a while. When I touch them, they are slightly warm. Will they still develop despite this? Thanks! 💚

Thank so much! She has been broody for 2 weeks and a half, still going strong. Should I block off her nesting box and leave a small feeder and waterer inside for her? I can't block off any other nesting boxes because the other chickens use them. She will also move to nesting boxes without eggs as well. Thanks! 😊 💚
I think you should I that, but make sure she has somewhere to poop:) hope the eggs hatch ok!

No, she hasn't. She tried hatching some earlier in Feb. but it was really stressful with the cold weather and other chickens kicking off her off the nest. I think there was some development but the embryos died and the egg reabsorbed it... all the eggs exploded instead of hatching.

When she leaves the nest she leaves the eggs for a while. When I touch them, they are slightly warm. Will they still develop despite this? Thanks! 💚
Chicken eggs can lay and get cold for a couple hours before they take damage from it, but I would candle them every 5-7 days to see if they are still viable😊
If the chicks hatch keep an eye on the chicks and mom, some hens are terrible at sitting on the eggs but really good moms and some are bad sitters and bad moms, but you can’t know until the chicks hatch but keep an eye out and make sure she doesn’t abandon them to go and sit in another box😊
It’s unlikely to happen but just have it in the back of your mind that it can happen😊

I think you should I that, but make sure she has somewhere to poop:) hope the eggs hatch ok!
Chicken eggs can lay and get cold for a couple hours before they take damage from it, but I would candle them every 5-7 days to see if they are still viable😊
If the chicks hatch keep an eye on the chicks and mom, some hens are terrible at sitting on the eggs but really good moms and some are bad sitters and bad moms, but you can’t know until the chicks hatch but keep an eye out and make sure she doesn’t abandon them to go and sit in another box😊
It’s unlikely to happen but just have it in the back of your mind that it can happen😊
Thank y'all! I will definitely do that! So I took your advice on candling the hatching eggs compared to a egg that has not been sat on and there was something inside the hatching eggs that were not inside several un-sat eggs. They will move around when I turn the egg though. Are they embryos and have they not attached to one side of the egg yet? Today is Day 4! Thanks! 😊 💚

Thank y'all! I will definitely do that! So I took your advice on candling the hatching eggs compared to a egg that has not been sat on and there was something inside the hatching eggs that were not inside several un-sat eggs. They will move around when I turn the egg though. Are they embryos and have they not attached to one side of the egg yet? Today is Day 4! Thanks! 😊 💚
It is a little early to see a lot of development or vessels, I would candle again at day 8-10 and then you can clearly see who is alive and who is not, just remember to look for vessels, put them under her again and wait a bit until you candle again, by day 12-15 they should not move around at all in the egg except when they are moving their body😊
Good luck and keep us updated

It is a little early to see a lot of development or vessels, I would candle again at day 8-10 and then you can clearly see who is alive and who is not, just remember to look for vessels, put them under her again and wait a bit until you candle again, by day 12-15 they should not move around at all in the egg except when they are moving their body😊
Thank you so much! I will definitely keep y'all updated!! 😊 💚

Thanks y'all! Last time I tried hatching eggs, I couldn't tell if there was any development. I can't tell the difference between the yolk inside the egg and an embryo. When can I start seeing development? I set them yesterday evening and it has been Day 1 today. I saw a large darker spot in 4 of the eggs and nothing in one. One of the eggs that seemed to have something in it has a really small thin crack. Should I throw it out or is the darker spot development? Or is it just the yolk? Thanks!
My favorite candling days are 9 or 10 because you can literally see the little embryo swimming around. There would be no doubt if it was developing or not

My favorite candling days are 9 or 10 because you can literally see the little embryo swimming around. There would be no doubt if it was developing or not
Thank y'all! I checked the eggs last night and saw in all eggs, embryos with veins and everything!!! I could see their eyes as well and some slight movement. I'm worried about the one egg with the crack. It's still thin but got a bit bigger and I'm afraid Debbie is going to notice and crack it. How would you do the waxing thing? Or is there any other way to do this? I don't want anything to happen to that baby! Thanks! :celebrate:ya💚

Back
Top Bottom