Trying to Hatch Eggs from Deceased Hen...

Maybe leave them in the incubator from now on. They need the humidity or they'll get shrink wrapped, and taking one out could disturb the other egg as well as that egg.
Can't wait to see pictures of the babies!! :ya
The hatch was perfect. The unnamed chick who I have named Buttercup, hatched first. She is definitely Restauraunt's chick. The father is my White Cochin Bantam, Buddy. She has a sort of chipmunk-ish pattern. Could she be a sex-link?
Maevyn just hatched. She is very confusing! She is all black but has dark pink skin. Her legs are grey. I have a Black Silkie Bantam rooster, but if he was the father wouldn't she have boot feathers? I also have a Golden Laced Polish Crested rooster. Could he be the father? He does have more dominant black feathers and grey legs. Could his genes have taken over Maevyn? I am not even sure if she is Restauraunt's chick. Also, her abdomen is quite large and squishy but she is still wet, and I checked and compared Buttercup with her and she has a squishy abdomen as well but it looks normal with the fluff. Is this normal? Also, should I leave umbilical cords alone or is there anything I need to do?
Anyways, so so happy!!!! May Resty watch over them from heaven and may Debbie be a wonderful adopted mother! Will send pics tomorrow because I don't have a camera right now. Really sorry, I know how much anticipated the pics are!
SO happyyyyy!!!! :love:celebrate:wee:ya🥹😊💚

The hatch was perfect. The unnamed chick who I have named Buttercup, hatched first. She is definitely Restauraunt's chick. The father is my White Cochin Bantam, Buddy. She has a sort of chipmunk-ish pattern. Could she be a sex-link?
Maevyn just hatched. She is very confusing! She is all black but has dark pink skin. Her legs are grey. I have a Black Silkie Bantam rooster, but if he was the father wouldn't she have boot feathers? I also have a Golden Laced Polish Crested rooster. Could he be the father? He does have more dominant black feathers and grey legs. Could his genes have taken over Maevyn? I am not even sure if she is Restauraunt's chick. Also, her abdomen is quite large and squishy but she is still wet, and I checked and compared Buttercup with her and she has a squishy abdomen as well but it looks normal with the fluff. Is this normal? Also, should I leave umbilical cords alone or is there anything I need to do?
Anyways, so so happy!!!! May Resty watch over them from heaven and may Debbie be a wonderful adopted mother! Will send pics tomorrow because I don't have a camera right now. Really sorry, I know how much anticipated the pics are!
SO happyyyyy!!!! :love:celebrate:wee:ya🥹😊💚
Just leave them be for now and let them rest and get bonded with their mom, hatching is hard work. Congrats on your healthy littles!

Also, the chicks are still learning their legs and are very tired. Mama has not taught them how to eat or drink yet. But they are still very small and are always napping. I think she might teach them tomorrow. Do they usually learn right when they are born?
I only have experience with quail, and I find they learn pretty quickly.

Also, the chicks are still learning their legs and are very tired. Mama has not taught them how to eat or drink yet. But they are still very small and are always napping. I think she might teach them tomorrow. Do they usually learn right when they are born?
what is happening is normal. The last thing the chicks did before hatch was to absorb the egg yolk (that's inside and creating the squishy tummy), which will feed and water them for 3 days. Mama will bring them off the nest to food and water when she thinks the time is right. She instinctively knows much more about it than we do. Your job is to facilitate her to do hers, not to over-rule her. When you provide water, you need a shallow dish with marbles or suchlike in so they can't fall in and drown. And mum will be starving as she won't have eaten for a few days and has been burning body fat throughout the brooding period. Give her whatever she wants when she wants it.

Back
Top Bottom