Trying to ID a duck.

Pics
I'd set up 2 separate areas but next to each other so the 2 new ones can have peace and eat and drink. Do you have a large or xlarge dog kennel? they work well for inside the coop at night to keep bullying down. Many split their pens in half to give the ducks more time to get to know each other. And since the breeding season is getting underway things may have to stay this way for a while, Depending on how many drakes to females.
I have large crates but I think I'm going to try splitting their living quarters first. More work but we have another winter storm coming and that means more time inside. They need to move around.

I have large crates but I think I'm going to try splitting their living quarters first. More work but we have another winter storm coming and that means more time inside. They need to move around.
Wanted to add that that is definitely a rouen, we have 3 and look like them :)

Attachments

• PXL_20230303_220500922.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230303_220500922.MP~2.jpg
    903.1 KB · Views: 3
They desperately need a bath! :eek:
And really? A slow-cooker for the water? I hope they get a better home soon...
What is wrong with the slow cooker for water it is a perfect non-freeze bowl during the winter you can buy a slow cooker at Goodwill for $5 compared to 20 plus for a heated bowl

What is wrong with the slow cooker for water it is a perfect non-freeze bowl during the winter you can buy a slow cooker at Goodwill for $5 compared to 20 plus for a heated bowl
They work good for chickens but they aren't very deep so it's hard for a duck to dip it's head for cleaning. Wish I'd thought of it for my chickens, may start using one for them next year.

20230407_084009.jpg

Well I was gone for 3 weeks to help my kids/grandkids. Hubby was home tending to critters. He said he found 6 eggs twice during the three weeks. I came home and found 10 eggs on the side with the new ducks and 5 on the side with 3 ducks. So 15 eggs...OK maybe 11 or 12 eggs he missed. Needless to say he will not be allowed to teach the grandkids how to hunt for Easter eggs. 🤣 So I had all the eggs cleaned out and kept up with. Yesterday I found these 3 on the side with Miss Goose (2 duck side) and there was another in front of the coop door for a total of 4 eggs, all laying on top of straw. Now I have a total of 5 ducks. 2 Caugas, 1 Blue Sweedish, 1 Rouen and 1 Jumbo Pekin. The Caugas were picking on the newbies so y'all thought there were 2 drakes...DuckDuck and one of the Caugas. Now I'm really confused because I have 4 eggs in one day. Either DuckDuck is a female and layed 2 eggs or 2 somebodys jumped the short divider fence and layed an egg and jumped back. Both Caugas have a curled tail feather, DuckDuck does not, but I've read that some females get that curl too. DuckDuck's appetite sure has picked up too.
Any thoughts?

Try to listen to the sounds. Drakes likely have the curl in the tail as well as a raspier soundings quake. The girls tend to be louder with a more classic quack sound.

Found 5 eggs this morning. 2 blue and 1 white on DuckDuck and Goose's side. 2 white on the side with 3 ducks in the nest by the door. I think they're just messin' with me now! 🤣
I read that it's possible for a duck to lay 2 eggs in a day, but it's rare.
Happy Easter!

Back
Top Bottom