Trying to identify what kind of chick this is.

stinnyfire

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
So our local feed store does special orders from customers. They get the chicks from Ideal Poultry and the feed store has them shipped with their standard orders they get from Ideal. I currently have a Rhode Island Red, 1 Golden Sex link and 1 Ameraucana. My roommate and I decided to order a Silver Laced Polish pullet through them. Yes, I was aware that the Ideal Poultry website says str run for their Silver Laced Polish but I asked the feed store to see if they could get just one done as a pullet. Long story short, the order came in this week and the post office was running late on getting the chicks delivered to the feed store. Also, the weather was pretty cold the day the chicks were delivered. My roommate went to the feed store to pickup the chick for me because I was working when the delivery came in. The person at the feed store said that due to the colder weather and late delivery quite a few of the chicks didn't make it. He also told my roommate that he wasn't really sure if this was the chick we had ordered. I arrived home that night to a baby chick that did not look like a Silver Laced Polish chick. The chick is smaller than the Silver Laced Wyandotte chick I got that same day. I can't seem to find any chicks online that resemble this one. Anyone know what he/she might be? It's mostly white with some black under on its head and back.

My first thought was a White Rock, but the feet look dark and the head is a bit too mottled.

My second guess would be Silver Spangled Hamburg...but again feet may be too dark.

What color are the feet? They look dark in the photo.

If green, it could be an Easter Egger.

Definitely NOT Silver Laced Polish, nor any other type of Polish, nor Silver Laced Wyandotte, nor Gold Laced Wyandotte.

What comb type? Single? or based for rose?

Here's a good chick chart I use when I'm struggling to figure out the breed of a chick:
http://esteshatchery.com/gallery.html

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
The feet are dark. Maybe more grey or blue. Here's a picture.

I'm not familiar with comb types. I'll Google that and look at it and see.

Based on the link you sent, the closest one that looks like her/him is the Silver Spangled Hamburg. If that's the case and it's a pullet, then I'm not gonna be upset because they look cool too. Unfortunately our city doesn't allow roosters, that's another reason I hope it's a pullet.

With that leg color and smaller size I think Campine or Sicilian Buttercup...although the down colors aren't quite right.

Try looking also at the bantams and games. The smaller size and leg color suggest more exotic or game.

Lady of McCamley

After looking at more pictures I think it's either the Silver Spangled Hamburg or Appenzeller Spitzhauben. The feathers that are coming in are white with some black in them. Only time will tell. At least I have a better idea now. Although I am kinda bummed it's not a Silver Laced Polish. Hopefully she found a good home and didn't meet the same fate as some of the other chicks.

Looks like she is leaning more towards a Appenzeller Spitzhauben. She is starting to get a tuft of fuzz on top of her head. I'm really excited if that is what she is because we really wanted a polish and she would be a close second!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom