Trying to identify what type of pigeon I have!

shelly116

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 8, 2013
This little pigeon landed in our family BBQ 3 years ago on 4th of July. She didn't know how to fly well, and when she landed, she wouldn't leave our feet! The cats were stalking her, so I took her home to make sure she was safe... 3 years later (just a month ago) she began laying eggs so now we're sure she's a female! I would like to know what I have and find her a male for company as well! How would I go about introducing a male to her, as she is fairly territorial over her cage... Thanks for any help! She is mottled like this over entire body, tail feathers are more black than white. There is some iridescent green on the underside of the neck (chest area) and purple iridescent on the shoulders.

I take it the pigeon had no band?
It is a lovely looking bird.
I would not even be able to hazard a guess from the pictures.
There are too many breeds that can resemble that type of bird.
I would guess that it is not a feral bird from its eye and feather colouration.

I would say it may have some homer blood in it's veins.

Last edited:
Sorry... NO, no bands and she is and always has been VERY friendly and loves to be loved on! I assume she was raised a pet and was very young when we acquired her as she couldn't fly until about 2 months later. Here is more of a full body shot if it helps... as a size comparison in this pic she is in the coop with my 2 - 2 1/2 month old andalusian chicken... The info I found looks like she may be a parlor roller... but she actually flies now that she's older, no rolling that I've ever seen.

I have tons of doves that come in and eat her droppings, she is slightly larger than they are. I believe them to be Eurasian Collared doves... if this helps!

I would scrap that idea of her being a parlour roller. I would breed her to a solid white homer if she were my bird. I am prejudice and think homers are the kings of the pigeon world.

Thanks for the replies! Now I just need to find friend for her... Any advise on introducing a male? I am not familiar with pigeons except in learning to feed and house her... what type of nest do they like? I have a box for her and fill it with straw and she still lays on the cage floor... I have lots to learn! :)

Nice looking birds Coco! I wish I had more room, I'd have several more!

Last edited:
Some fanciers just put them together with no introductions. Others place them in separate cages where they can see each other for a day or so. I have done both. If I see one is giving the other a shellacking I will put them in separate cages for a day or so.

.This will also work as a nesting area you could build one out of a 5 gallon pail with a bit of modification.

This is what I use for a nest bowl. it is about 9 or 10 inches in diameter. I get them at the Dollar Store here in Canada. I put grass maybe pine needles wood chips what ever is available for nesting material. I would buy two right off the bat because as soon as your first squabs begin to fledge your bird will lay another clutch of eggs in another nesting area near by.

If you decide on a homer for a mate go with a young bird or you may never get him to home. I would let him raise at least 3 clutches of eggs before I even thought of releasing him.

I have one homer who would never stay in a foreign loft and has flown 600 miles to be home in 3 days after he had escaped.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom