Trying to learn

mitch123

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 18, 2013
First I'll say hi and thanks for all the info so far.I got into chickens by accident a hen laid 7 eggs under my pontoon boat.I was about to put it back when I spotted her I moved the nest and eggs in a box under my apple tree but mom wouldnt get in it .I took them out of the box and got the nest and fluffed it up for her in a hr or so she was back on it. Dont tell no one but I got a beach umbrella and put it up for her because the sun was setting and she was in the heat still.Well 21 days later I'm a chicken guy wit ha great mom and 7 healthy chickens my wife has been spoiling rotton with treats.My problem now is the chicks are 10 weeks old and mom is getting away from them to the point where she want go back in the run for safty at night she use to put them in the bed around 7:30 well last night she got gone we could nt find her.I found her next morning at 4 am getting ready to go to work( funny sight is a grown man in the rain trrying to get a chicken to geo in a pin) i put her in pin and my wife said the chicks wouldnt come down out of the house and she was paceing back and forth at the gate till my wife let her out.I dont want my mom hurt and she wont go to them at all when will they just be ready to hang out.She would nt let them down to eat or drink .Ol by the way I got carried away building them a cool house and run very safe .Thanks alot Mitch

welcome-byc.gif
Hens don't keep the kids around long. She probably thinks its time you got stuck with the chicks. Nice story, are all the chicks the same color? I know we would love to see pictures of her and the chicks and may be able to tell you what breed she/they are.

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills! :frow

What Diva says is right: at ten weeks momma hen has generally decided she is done with the kids and they're on their own. They will continue to beg and want to nestle with her, but she will eventually peck at them to push them away.

Everybody here loves pictures of chickens and coops. We would love it if you shared some of yours!

We've decided to catch Rosie and put her in our big dog kennel out in the dog lot under the shed its cool and shady there at least she'll have a better chance to live come night fall . She's only been eating what she finds cause she's not going in the pin where the food and water is . Hope it dosnt traumatize her too bad just until the chicks get bigger and they will sleep together again in a safe house

Back
Top Bottom