Trying To Make Money On Meat Birds

Pine Roost

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
Who all raises and sells meat birds for a profit? For me...feed is the main cost that cuts into profits when buying it from a feed store. Does anyone out there have a method of cutting down raising costs (particularly feed) so that it does not cut so much into what you net in the end??
All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
I wish I knew how my dad's mother did it during the depression. Dad told me that she had 200 RIR and sold them by the pound live weight. I guess the people that bought them did their own butchering. And maybe there was more demand during the depression, I don't know.
The way your Granny likely sold her RIRs was to the local produce warehouse, all her farm neighbors had their own poultry. Before the Interstate highways there was one or more produce houses in every community, usually near the railroad tracks so that they had quick and easy access to incoming freight as well as a convenient way to express ship out the perishables that the produce house accumulated from local sources, things like butter, green beans, cured pork, fruit in season, eggs, and of course live chickens. In the 50s the local produce houses started going the way of the passenger pigeon, which by the way in the 1800s the produce houses shipped out in their millions.

The produce house either butchered your grandmother's birds themselves and sold them to the grocery stores or else they resold them to local butcher shops in the city who did the butchering. At any rate every produce house had at least one large battery coop to hold their live chickens. I also want to remind you that not until WWII did chickens in the butcher shop or grocery store get very much butchering. Most chickens were sold New York dressed fashion, meaning that just their throats were slit and the feathers were plucked, because it was the best way to display the pretty yellow chicken fat which every housewife was keen to supply to her family. You can't sell chickens that way now, that is if you want to stay out of Leavenworth. If you want to know what a New York dressed chicken looks like watch old comedy routines and be on the lookout for the old rubber chicken gag.

If any of this seems far fetched to you, remember that at this time the upper crust often "hung" wild game birds like ducks and pheasants without the aid of refrigeration or drawing the bird. The idea was to let the game birds hang for up to a month to develop a more intense gamey flavor, or maybe it was to set hung game birds apart from the chickens in the butcher shop that could be a little gamey themselves.

IMO three issues need to be over come.

feed costs
butchering costs
finding buyers

A lot of the cost of feed is the milling and handling. Buying in bulk is cheaper. Finding a copmany to deliver is another problem. Consider using other feed stuffs that are by products of other industries in your area like whey or brewers grains. Consider pasture management = grwoing the right pasture mix to benefit growing birds. We have been looking at a shed type silo.

Butchering must be done by regulated facilities and adds about $5 per bird in my area. ANd the birds must be held in some kind of cage for transport and holding, another expense.

Pockets of high income communities will buy organicly grown meat and pay huge prices for a frozen bird. About $8/lb. was the rate I saw this summer at farm stands.

I backed off from selling to the public and only process for myself. Even at $8 for a cull it is not worth my time dealing with buyers. Just easier to put it in my own freezer.

Just my humble experience.

Arielle, I agree, the processing really changes the price on the end. I pay 4.00 on average here, and than you add in feed, I have over 3,500 in a coop, gas to drive 50 miles to drop off the chicks, come home, go back the next day 50 miles to pick them up, bedding, feed, and I no im not in order here lol, electricity for the brooder, cost of the actual chick. Now try to figure all that up and tell me how you can even consider charging under 3.00 lb just for yourself, let alone sell one to a customer for more money. I think the "city" people think when we sell them a chicken, we are rolling the profits in a wheelbarrow to the bank and we are making huge money. I have a plan in place in my head, and we will see where that plan goes, it will sadly cost a lot more money to do my vision and I will either lose my ***, or break even. I am pushing to break even, not even make a profit.

And kuntry... Oh woman I could beat you
lau.gif
You know how to reach me when your ready to talk, and for me to help you in a huge way :)

So Arielle,

Do you think if you advertised naturally raised free ranged birds for 3.00 lb thats not to exp? I feed organic, BUT I do not pay the 2,000 for the certification, and was told by the State of Ohio Ag Dept. That it would be false advertising regardless what I feed, unless they come inspect my farm, and find that its up to par, and pay the big dollars. " I think" its 2,000... I know it was a ton of money.. So they told me to say Naturally raised, and to stress that when you go to Whole Foods, and can buy it for 1.99 a lb and it says free ranged to explain to the customer, that "free ranged" does not mean it was outside.. It means it had access to outside, but maybe never seen a day of sunshine in its life. She said, you should take pics of your birds outside, as even if a customer believes you, if you say, let me send you some pics, if there was a 1% chance of wondering, you probably just took it away, and than when there friends say, how do you really know it was free ranged, ppl can just say that to get us to pay more money. Than your "customer" would say, oh man, he sent me pics, different dates, and I believe him.

And yes, I know you can set a bird outside, take a picture, put it back inside, next day take a picture outside, and rinse and repeat, and say, See, my birds outside, look at the dates.. I believe som may do that.. Some ppl are VERY shaddy, while some are actually to honest. I feel that if you tell a lie, even the smallest lie that affected nobody, that you have to keep remembering that small lie so you do not slip up, and that tiny lie becomes a bigger lie.. And once your caught lying, or even someone suspects you are, why should they EVER believe you again.. As a man, I always say all I have to offer you is my word! Once that word is broken, I probably lost a friend,customer, others who believed in me by word of mouth, and than its only downhill... So just be a straight shooter even if its something people do not want to hear...

I have had ex's say do I look good in this dress... As a bf, I should say, yes darling you look fantastic!! As who I am, i am like, ummm. hunny, u looked better in the other dress, I am blunt, but honest on everything :)

So Arielle,

Do you think if you advertised naturally raised free ranged birds for 3.00 lb thats not to exp? I feed organic, BUT I do not pay the 2,000 for the certification, and was told by the State of Ohio Ag Dept. That it would be false advertising regardless what I feed, unless they come inspect my farm, and find that its up to par, and pay the big dollars. " I think" its 2,000... I know it was a ton of money.. So they told me to say Naturally raised, and to stress that when you go to Whole Foods, and can buy it for 1.99 a lb and it says free ranged to explain to the customer, that "free ranged" does not mean it was outside.. It means it had access to outside, but maybe never seen a day of sunshine in its life. She said, you should take pics of your birds outside, as even if a customer believes you, if you say, let me send you some pics, if there was a 1% chance of wondering, you probably just took it away, and than when there friends say, how do you really know it was free ranged, ppl can just say that to get us to pay more money. Than your "customer" would say, oh man, he sent me pics, different dates, and I believe him.

And yes, I know you can set a bird outside, take a picture, put it back inside, next day take a picture outside, and rinse and repeat, and say, See, my birds outside, look at the dates.. I believe som may do that.. Some ppl are VERY shaddy, while some are actually to honest. I feel that if you tell a lie, even the smallest lie that affected nobody, that you have to keep remembering that small lie so you do not slip up, and that tiny lie becomes a bigger lie.. And once your caught lying, or even someone suspects you are, why should they EVER believe you again.. As a man, I always say all I have to offer you is my word! Once that word is broken, I probably lost a friend,customer, others who believed in me by word of mouth, and than its only downhill... So just be a straight shooter even if its something people do not want to hear...

I have had ex's say do I look good in this dress... As a bf, I should say, yes darling you look fantastic!! As who I am, i am like, ummm. hunny, u looked better in the other dress, I am blunt, but honest on everything :)
LOL--- the spouse in a dress is the survival of the marriage!!!! lol I ask my kids for the truth not my DH . lol

Yes, I think reputation is everything. As long as what you say is truthful, you don't have to exploain every nuance.

In the food inductry most of the terms we throw around have legal meanings. "Orgainic' is a tough lable to meet as you are finding out. I term my birds and eggs as farm fresh and free ranged. The dark orange yolks are my evidence. " Naturally" has a wonderful earthy and orgainic tone. When I encounter a customer that calls my birds organic, then I step in and correct the term. Because I feed pellets from the mill that doesn't buy organic grains, and I"m ok with that. I'm all for organic operations and fully support their efforts, but I personally can't afford level of production. However, I am looking at how I can increase the foodstuff off my land that is organic. BUt I never intend to be cerified. ( We have never used herbicides and pesticides or commercial fertilizers here--- just not how we cope with issues; we do use some medicines as needed and continue to find substitutes that are less harmful. is using sulfur powder instead of sevin to kill the mites. Not sure if pyrythins are also natural-- I think they are, but synthetics also exist.)

As for pricing, every market is different. THe farmers market I setn to this summer is in a very rich town-- the richest around and it was hopping busy as the commuters were arriving after work. $26-28 for a chicken on ice in a cooler and cyrovaced. $6 for homemade cashew butter about 6 oz. I choke at these prices but know the work that went itno making it. You are looking for buyers that work full time and understand the value of good wholesome food.

Not sure how to find that market. I like the idea of a farmers market as a way to test the market and see what people will pay and the level of interest. I read of one person that raised turkeys based on already having a farmers mkt clientelle and as they already trusted him, he used a sign up and deposit method to secure customers.

I hope some of this is helpful. Sales is tough work; farming is tougher. lol

I have no idea what the laws are regarding selling chicken. All of my sales will be directly to family and friends.....and a few will be kept for my own freezer.
There is a federal exemption as long as you sell directly off of your farm, don't sell across state lines, and don't sell more than a thousand chickens per year including the ones you keep for personal use. Look up your state and the federal exemption. Here it is, the one for SC:

Section 47-19-140 Exemptions Section (e)

(e) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to poultry producers with respect to poultry of their own raising on their own farms if (i) such producers slaughter not more than two hundred fifty turkeys, or not more than an equivalent number of birds of all species during the calendar year for which this exemption is being determined (four birds of other species being deemed the equivalent of one turkey); (ii) such poultry producers do not engage in buying or selling poultry products other than those produced from poultry raised on their own farms; and (iii) such poultry moves only in intrastate commerce. - See more at: http://statutes.laws.com/south-carolina/title-47/chapter-19#sthash.35CFV3aj.dpuf

http://statutes.laws.com/south-carolina/title-47/chapter-19

I raise meat birds, broilers, just for my own consumption. I buy broiler eggs and hatch them myself to ensure I don't bring new diseases onto my farm from the hatchery. i grow 40 to 50 broilers at a time.

To feed them, I just produce my own organic feed. I grow oats, wheat, barley and corn on my field. I buy non-GMO organic soybean meal in blocks of 400 pounds at a time to get it for cheap (this much lasts for a couple of years).

I then mix the oats and wheat and barley together, grind the corn so it's in quite big pieces (not ground finely) and then prepare the home mix food in the following way:

1 part soybean meal
1 part rough ground corn
3 parts oat/wheat/barley mix (note: I grind this too, but not finely)

this gives me a feed with a high spectrum of minerals and vitamins, and about 25% protein - which is plenty for broilers.

I then put them in a mobile chicken trailer that I can move to fresh pasture every day or two (by hand, it's a light trailer), so that they can get additional nutrition from the pasture.

this works great, costs almost nothing per bird other than my labor time, and produces fabulous birds. I can't imagine going to the shop and buying a commercially raised chicken.

Back
Top Bottom