Trying to pick out the right chicken breeds

Morgk

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
So I’m trying to figure out what breeds to get. Chicken math is so hard, lol. And my purpose is have them cold hardy, lay a decent amount of eggs, some broody and docil.
Thinking of these breeds, tell me what you think of them and your experience.
Cochin: want as broody and docil
Olive Eggers: the color of eggs, docil
Buff Orpington: broody and cold hardy
Leghorn: lots of eggs
Blue copper Maran: the bed is pretty and egg color
Speckled Sussex: broody and docil

That’s what I have as my top breeds and what I was told for them. What is your breeds you like too

I have a Cochin, she is probably the sweetest of them all, although they start laying 7 to 8 months. It’s not uncommon for them to be broody.
I love buff Orpingtons, very sweet chickens and great layers. They can go broody, but Cochins are better at that.
My brown Leghorn is not as sociable as my others, but she is still sweet and they are supposed to lay really well. Mine hasn’t laid yet.
My olive egger is a little bit like my Leghorn and they are also supposed to lay good.
Speckled Sussex are not as often broody, but they’re good layers and are very sweet.

So I’m trying to figure out what breeds to get. Chicken math is so hard, lol. And my purpose is have them cold hardy, lay a decent amount of eggs, some broody and docil.

That’s what I have as my top breeds and what I was told for them. What is your breeds you like too
I used to have buff orpingtons which were lovely, friendly, cold hardy too.This time my chicks are Columbian Rock which I am told are docile and grow to a good size. They were all I could get as day olds this year.

We have leghorns for the first time. I don't know your coop/run situation but the leghorns love to fly! Our 6 week old immediately flew to the top of the fence of the chicken yard with no effort at all. Mine aren't adults but I've read they also love to roost very high. They are indeed supposed to be fabulous layers but I'm not sure I would have added them to our mix voluntarily. They were part of a chick assortment. You have several on your list who are considered docile. I would say leghorns are definitely not docile, at least ours aren't. First to gobble food and I see them as leader of the flock eventually. Not mean or hostile, just overactive and eager.

Silkies are docile and easily broody but not very cold hardy unfortunately. I suggest Naked necks. They’re a little more rare, but TSC in my area has started supplying them. They’re duel purpose (meat and eggs), pretty chill, fun to look at, highly disease resistant, and vert adaptable to any weather or climate and despite the lack of feathers, they are quite cold hardy. They’re pretty much invincible lol. I love mine. I have two older Roos (one of which I’m going to sell) who are both friendly with people. Ozzie likes to get in my business but has never been aggressive. I have two pullets and a cockerel as well and they are marvelous. They’re extremely independent from the flock but stick together with their leghorn buddy and duckling buddy. They’re very loyal to each other and to you. Certain ones can be protective as well. I have a very rooster aggressive rooster that has to be pinned up for attacking several roosters. When my dad let him out (sigh) One of the NN Roos stood his ground. They don’t give up easily. They’re very strong willed and like to let you know how they’re feeling. Overall great birds. Highly recomend.
2F9D48BD-1048-4BE5-ADDC-F97A22AF88D4.jpeg

Ozzie the “pretty one” lol

Thank you everybody. I live in Wisconsin. The breeds I have already are:
One ISA Brown
One barred rock
One black sexlink
One Salmon Faverolles
One Easter Egger/ ameraucana
One production red
Two light brahmas one is a rooster one is a hen

Back
Top Bottom