trying to re-introduce mom and chick

stumble_n_mumble

Songster
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
This is getting ridiculous!!! The silkie baby is now 3 months old and i have been trying to re introduce mom and baby back to the group.... Every time i do the ducks come over and just bite and pull at the mom while splitting the two up! there ripping her feathers out and everything! i am at my wits end!!!

I had a heck of a time reintegrating my broody into the flock. Her 8 babies integrated just fine, but my broody under stress started molting and she was spending most of the day hiding on the roost. I began feeling her crop and she wasn't eating much either. The others weren't pecking her at all, just giving the I'm in charge peck, but she was absolutely terrified of them. I started throwing scratch and BOSS out in the run to keep the others occupied, and I'd carry her out and force her out of the coop. She gradually began foraging for the scratch, but would still come running to me if she felt scared. She's now integrated fine and her crop is full every day now. But she still comes running to me for affection, she is now the total lap chicken. She will sit in my lap and have a nap.

I am just so angry! everything was fine and they haven't even been really "separate", the mom and baby have been on the other side of the fence and they saw each other every stinking day!!!

Back
Top Bottom