Trying to Un-Broody a hen.

utterchaos

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Doylestown, PA
I have a broody hen that I'm trying to get un-broody. As it states all over this site, I put her in a wire dog cage 5 days ago. I thought she would lay an egg to let me know she wasn't broody anymore but she hasn't.
Is there any other way to tell if she's not broody anymore besides letting her out to see.

Thanks

Letting her out is the key test, but if she has stopped making that clucking/bokking sound and walking around all fluffed up, she is probably over it. It usually takes me about three days, but some do take longer.

The acid test is turning her loose and seeing if she'll head straight for a nest box.

But, after five days, she's most probably broke. Mine take about two days and two nights in the broody cage with a fan under them at night, and they're over it. The personality change is obvious. They stop being testy when touched, don't fluff up like an angry badger and growl, and lose interest in the nest box. However, laying won't resume for another week or so after they quit being broody. Yours will be laying again another four to seven days.

Thanks so much. I did let her out and she was so funny. She ran from the goat barn (where she was in the cage) and quickly ran into the chicken run to grab more food although she had plenty in her cage. From there she ran outside and starting rolling in the dirt. I checked the coop and no sign if her in the next boxes.

Back
Top Bottom