1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trying troubleshoot

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blessedmamato3, Aug 26, 2014.

1. blessedmamato3

blessedmamato3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    We've been getting 6 eggs a day for over a year, but for the last month, maybe 2. We chalked it up to a broody hen being a snot; however, she was sitting on 7 eggs and everyone of them was gone this morning. My son said that he has seen them eat eggs and even some shells, but that was a long, long time ago. It's possible it's an egg snake, but we've seen no sign of one and we've been watching.

Any ideas of how we can get to the bottom of this?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A broody will eat an egg that goes bad. If the flock has access to the broody nest, she or other hens could have moved some or all of the eggs to another nest. The oter hens will also lay in a broody's nest. When I let a broody hatch in iwth the rest of the flock, I would find her eggs all over the place, and others' eggs in her nest, just as I would find she had returned to the wrong nest. I was rearranging eggs for 3 weeks.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by