Tsa-hatching Eggs-plane Travel

ParadiseFoundFarm

Goddess of Good Things
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Joliet, IL
Dear Cyber-family:
Any ideas on sending hatching eggs overseas? My father is traveling to our homeland, Greece, for easter. My cousin raises birds there. Everything from exotics to chickens. He wants some of my birds. It would be impossible to send Ameraucanna birds there, but what about the eggs?
We wouldn't want to hide them in the suitcase because the cargo area would get too cold - Right?
Would the TSA confiscate them from his handbag?
I heard a tale, and I don't know if it's true, that some one had brought ahtching eggs withthem on a plane from here to Britain and when asked about them, he told the agents they were "easter eggs". Our eggs are colored and not white. The shells are remarkably hard. But I'd rather not lie.
We are NPIP certified and our eggs are free from disease so they would be safe.
What are your thoughts?
Denise & Mark
Paradise Found Farm

I have read some folks have encountered problems if TSA or Customs views the eggs as livestock. While I am not sure I agree with the term livestock but from what I have read if the eggs are fertile they can be considered "living"; thus livestock. I would start first with the Greek Consulate and see if Greece has any restriction with you "importing" hatching eggs into the country. If there are restriction you may be able to secure a permit for your eggs - assuming they recognize your NPIP certification. The problem you will have is the TSA agent you'll likely encounter. While that are probably well trained I doubt many will have experience with hatching eggs. So you're better off securing some sort of permit before you make the effort.

Or you could just wing it and hope for the best. I travel frequently; so if you wing it I doubt you'll be able to avoid the x-raying of the eggs. Even putting the eggs in your luggage they are still subject to xray and rough handling.

If they are valuable eggs I would call the following agencies: TSA, US Customs, the Greek Consulate or Embassey, and whatever airline you intend to travel. But, be prepared to get several different answers.

Good luck.

Quote:
TSA has no policy prohibiting the export of hatching eggs.
Us customs does not allow import but has no policy on the export of hatching eggs.
Greek customs agency does not speak of hatching eggs - or any eggs.
The greek consulate is closed until Monday.
Will the X-Raying harm the eggs? I'll bet the TSA will want to Xray them either way.

Last edited:
I do not know about x-rays harming eggs. I have read posting here about people being concerned that "mailed" eggs may get x-rayed but I have no first hand knowleged. Perhaps, others here would be able to answer the question.

Quote:
TSA has no policy prohibiting the export of hatching eggs.
Us customs does not allow import but has no policy on the export of hatching eggs.
Greek customs agency does not speak of hatching eggs - or any eggs.
The greek consulate is closed until Monday.
Will the X-Raying harm the eggs? I'll bet the TSA will want to Xray them either way.

I brought eggs back from Alabama and took eggs too.

Of the eggs I took, (1 doz.) I just sent them through the machine in my carry on. Of those she got two to hatch by a broody hen. Now I can't vouch for how or when they were set or whether they were set in a prompt time frame. I do know they were four days old when I got them to her.

Of the eggs I brought back, (2 doz) I got 14 or 16 to hatch with an incubator. These I requested for a hand check of the eggs, explaining they were rare breed chicken eggs. TSA was nice in Birmingham and wiped each egg for explosives and use the wand around each doz.

I suggested getting to the airport extra early so they have time to do each egg and all that.

Right now I'm looking into exporting eggs to the UK.

You can ask TSA to do a hand check vice x ray, they do this for me when I transport birds on the plane with me, I have never had them tell me they would not do this.

I've carried eggs as hand luggage on a plane. I didn't try to hide then, just carried the two egg cartons around. I asked for them not to be put through the bag xray/scanner thing and they said that was fine but they had to use some bom tester thing to make sure I didn't have explosives in there.
The trick is to tell them that they're hatching eggs and there are chickens inside
lol.png
that worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom